Aircraft insurance for training

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Paul Hamilton

Aircraft insurance for training

Post by Paul Hamilton »

The school/FBO that provides me 2 S-LSA is about to not pay the insurance which will shut down my LSA training operation. I said that I will try and find some less expensive insurance with $80,000 hull and $5000 deductable, 100,000 medical, and 1,000,000 total. They have been paying $4000 per airplane for 100,000 hull/5000 deductable but this apparantly is to much to make it work.

I know of AOPA, EAA/Falcon and Evemco to shop around but are there any other companies with reasonable rates?

Any help would be apprediated.

Best,
Paul Hamilton
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
garbageman

Re: Aircraft insurance for training

Post by garbageman »

Paul
$4000 per year is a good rate. When I leased my P-92 to a large sport pilot school, I paid way more, and the numbers worked just fine.
David
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Rates are usually pretty competitive, which means no bargains.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Paul, I use Falcon. For the past four years, I have been paying just under $5k for a million smooth liability, $85k hull and $1000 deductible.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
langj

Post by langj »

Paul when is this suppose to take affect. I need to get my biennial done. I hope they figure it out.
drseti

Post by drseti »

As soon as you select a broker and specify coverage, when you receive your quote, ask your agent to email you a binder immediately. This is your proof that insurance is in effect, states the limits of coverage, and can be done even before you pay your premium and receive your policy.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
langj

Post by langj »

I have my renters insurance. My problem is if they shut down the use of the LSA rentals at the flight school because the school won't insure their airplanes. I am going to have to find another plane to use. I can't wait till I start /finish my plane build because then I don't have to depend on others for my airplane.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

langj wrote:I have my renters insurance. My problem is if they shut down the use of the LSA rentals at the flight school because the school won't insure their airplanes. I am going to have to find another plane to use. I can't wait till I start /finish my plane build because then I don't have to depend on others for my airplane.
Find out who owns the LSAs at your school. Perhaps one will lease directly to you.
- Bruce
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

OK it sounds like the rates are good since it is a quanity discount for a number of airplanes at the flight school. I was hoping for better. Thanks all for this info it is greatly appreciated. I can go from here.

Langj,

I should be able to put this together in Carson but as another option we have the Skycatcher in Reno ready for action no problem but he wants $25,000 instead of $5000 for renters insurance to cover loss os use which i might be able to talk him down.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I recommend, but do not require, that my renters carry their own insurance. I do tell them that (1) if they opt not to carry their own insurance, they will be responsible for the $1000 deductible in case of any loss (and their renter's agreement is a contract agreeing to this), and (2) that insurance companies generally subrogate against renters in the event of a loss, so they would be strongly advised to carry renter's insurance with liability coverage equal to their assets, and hull coverage at least 50% of the replacement value of the aircraft. I also provide links on my website to three insurers that offer suitable coverage: Avemco, and the EAA and AOPA agencies. Most renters heed my advice; a few choose to self-insure, but are made aware of the risks.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
langj

Post by langj »

I currently have $30,000 for insurance coverage. I upped it when I was looking at flying the skycatcher more.
Dispatchguy

Post by Dispatchguy »

Sorry to post on a somewhat older thread. I'm new sport pilot student, so I'll be flying a LSA (prob a C162), and at least looking at the sample default policy for AOPA, one of the conditions is the aircraft holds a standard airworthiness certificate.

LSAs don't have that. Who covers an LSA?
Doug S, ADX
International Dispatch Instructor
Worldwide All-Cargo 121 Air Carrier
KMEM
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dispatchguy wrote: Who covers an LSA?
There are links on my website to three insurance providers that offer renter's insurance for LSAs. See
http://avsport.org/acft/index.html and scroll down to the middle of the page.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Hey drseti, when I was flight training before, I never thought about buying renters insurance for student pilots since I thought the flight school or the CFI covered me. But do most student pilots really need renters insurance for flight training? If so, how do I decipher the insurance terms like hull insurance, etc (like what do those insurance terms mean), and how much coverage do I need? Is renters insurance expensive?