My LSA decision

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Some of my friends who flew in good old times are either concerned about their fabric wings, or already having issues (in a Taylorcraft). The "folk wisdom" is that fabric-wing airplanes are not suitable for parking in a tiedown and a hangar is a must. I don't know if modern fabrics made this notion obsolete, but I was going to give a wide bearth to Cub for that reason, especially if a new Luscombe is essentially every bit as good, and costs only 85k new.

-- Pete
Norm

Post by Norm »

Pete, you're concern is legit. However, the newer fabrics are much longer lasting than the old ones. That said, I think every airplane deserves a hanger. The sun is hard on paint whether it's on metal or fabric or the new materials. Also, the wind is hard on 'em, the pulling on the tie downs, etc., not to mention the infrequent hailstorms. You do have to eventually replace the fabric, even the new types. But it's all a trade off ... if off airport landings are going to be made then the repairs (which are inevitable on unimproved strips) are so much simpler and cheaper than metal or the new carbon fibers and such.

Maybe there's good reason why Alaska has so many fabric n tube planes and the asphalt-laden-Lower-48 has so many metal and synthetic material planes.

Nice T-hangers where I live go for $230 / month but I know that's cheap compared to more crowded urban cities, so $$ becomes a bigger concern.

BTW, I really like the Luscombe. I've always hesitated, however, due to a folk lore reputation for ground looping and the narrow 39" cockpit. But what a good price! If you get one be sure to post a pirep.
Former CFII
Sold my '01 Maule M7 260C
I'm thankful I had so much to lose:
www.shaunlunt.typepad.com
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

A Cub with an autopilot just doesn't sound right. :D A Cub clone would be high on my list if I were in the market for a new airplane. The ease in repairing the airframe would certainly be a plus.
seastar

Autopilot

Post by seastar »

I agree, a Cub with an autopilot just dosen't compute.
That having been said, I guess I just wanted all the toys I could get.
In LSA's I have found that they are very tiring to fly cross country because of the light weight and I intend to do some long distance trips.
I will be alone most of the time as well.
Bill
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

There are a lot of tricks to keeping any airplane outside.

Good seals and a cockpit cover help the interior and radios

Keep it cleaned and waxed. A spray wax and cotton towels will help for fast cleanup after flying. Remove all bugs before the sun bakes them on.

Fly often to blow out the structure and keep things lubricated

wipe excess oil off the hinges to keep dirt from sticking.

A clearcoat finish seems to have less chalking and more UV protection.

Lexan does not like the sunlight. It crazes and yellows faster than plexiglass

Some ACF 50 lightly fogged into the structure helps. Don't soak everything

Coat all exposed cad plated hardware with PAR-AL-KETONE (Black Bear)

Put some flat stones under the tires and keep them inflated properly

Cowl plugs and pitot cover. Covers for bird size holes

Do all these things and most airframes fabric covered or metal will survive a long time outdoors.

A lot of times fabric airplane problems are due to improper application of the paint products during the recover. Alaska is full of supercubs with no hangar. They are the same average age as the GA fleet.

Even a shade hangar is nice if available. Sometimes they are better than an enclosed hangar that fills with condensation.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Cub flyer wrote: Put some flat stones under the tires and keep them inflated properly
To how many PSI do you inflate the flagstones?
:wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
vwvectors

Post by vwvectors »

Seastar I hope u post some pics inside an out when u get your SS.
BTW I think u made an excellant choice , Cubcrafters is one of the best aviation companies out there & their quality is 2nd to none.
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

A nitrogen keeps the flagstones inflated longer. 35-30 psi is good.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Check out this new supercub clone (for LSA) that looks awesome!

http://www.zlinaero.com/eng/viewgallery.php?id=7&img=
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

There's a Zlin Savage inside there somewhere.

The Zlin structure appears close to a Rans S-7.

It's circling around to be a SuperCub looking machine.

Odd how things progress. I wonder how the OSS shocks ride? The supercub is 1750 gross or higher. If the OSS are used on a LSA at 1320?