Getting Started and purchasing a LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Getting Started and purchasing a LSA

Post by FastEddieB »

It was the first book I read on the subject, so I had no preconceived notions about how airplanes flew.

I can see if you already know this stuff, its largely a rehashing.

Maybe for me there's a nostalgia factor as well.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

It is def not a very exciting book to read and my experience with ultralight flying (which I consider to not be technical in the slightest) made much of it kind of pointing out the obvious. However, I did learn a lot of new information and it gave some perspectives I would not have considered. I think it was def worth the read.
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I've been running numbers and considering what I know is a touchy subject. I have gotten hangaring rates from my local airport (which I think are very reasonable) and I also spoke to the Aventura factory rep in regards to life expectencies for the fabric on the plane. He said that a new set of fabric for the wings and tail runs $3000 and will last 10 years if the aircraft is kept indoors 5 if it is left uncovered outdoors. The Local airport runs (montly) $210 for a T hangar and $40 for tie down. I can get covers for the canopy, wings, and tail for about $1200 and they will last 5 years. I'm doing the math here and it just seems very hard to justify paying for a T hangar with a plane of this cost and as cheap as this is to replace fabric on. talking about 15k over 10 years.

I am by no means trying to avoid the fact that owning an airplane is not in any way good economics I just don't believe it means I should throw money out the window. I also recognize that other things may also wear quicker being exposed to the elements I just am not sure how to factor them. I may be able to sneak into the corner of someones hangar and save some money. Another option which I think may be a compromise of the best of both worlds. Would be to take advantage of the fact that this planes wings can be removed in 30-45 min and purchase a 20 foot enclosed trailer so during periods of time when I won't be flying her for a couple weeks I can remove the wings and store her inside the trailer.

Any thoughts here??
AZLEEJAY

Post by AZLEEJAY »

I'm a strong believer in hangars.
The ability to keep gear in the airplane or at least nearby and secure is one advantage. The overall wear and tear is much less in a hangar, not just the covering/paint but wind damage, vandalism, dust, wider temperature fluctuations to name a few.
But above all I like the security and safety of knowing no one has messed with anything since I put the airplane away. Plus its much easier to push it in and close the door, no tie downs, covers, gust locks etc.
Plus its a fun place to hang out and tinker!
Just my opinion of course but that's what you're asking for.
Good luck.
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

def some good things to consider. Ya know I guess in all reality its not like I have to make up my mind and no turning back. I can try out both and see which way I like. The other option which would be super ideal would be to put it on a jet dock in the river at my parents house down the road. They live on a big river and I don't know the exact legalities of mooring a sea plane off airport (apply for private sea plane base) although I have seen a decent share of sea planes land there over the years. That would really be my most ideal situation.

The convenience factor and security is my biggest concern. I don't really care to have the man cave aspect because I'm single and that's what my garage is for. Also the EAA has a good size hanger so I'm sure they are okay with it being used every now and then for maintenance.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm also a big believer in hangars, for the reasons already mentioned, plus a couple more. Keeping your tools and a sturdy workbench in your own hangar makes maintenance much easier. You can store fuel and oil, plus other consumables such as tires, brake pads, batteries, spark plugs, filters, coolant, and anything else you might need on short notice. Plus, hull insurance generally costs less for a hangared plane than it does for one tied down outside. When you go to sell a plane, "always hangared" adds 10% or more to the selling price. In my experience (owning various aircraft for 3 1/2 decades), the money spent on a hangar more than pays for itself in the long haul.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I would gladly pay the required $300 on hangar if only I had spare $300. As it is, I use a covered parking for $50, which reduces sun exposure and protects from hail.
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

I'd like to here more opinions for the Tie down people if there are any.

For a 24 year old guy who participates in a good deal of other hobbies I'm just not sure it really makes sense to hanger a 15 year old 25k aircraft. I like hearing all of the considerations that you guys look at. I'm still trying to weight what ultimately amounts to convenience and hypothetical savings to paper values of savings on tying down vs. hangering. I'm just trying to gauge if I am being unreasonable to consider tie down from a owner / pilot perspective - (factory didn't seem to think so).
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

The sun, wind, and water constantly beating on an airplane wears out every component. even avionics cooking in the August sun fail faster. Lubricants dry up or wash away, UV damages fabric, paint, and plexiglass. Look at the airplanes that live on tie downs. You might find one or two nice ones, but I bet they have not been there long. An airplane living on tie down is like a person living on whiskey and cigarettes...no good can come of it.

Of course you have to make your own economic evaluation. Is there a hangar you can share? That often makes things cheaper. A $25k airplane is not expensive in relative terms, but most folks can't just toss $25k, either. Just be careful not to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

You can't store lawn furniture and a second hand Weber grill at a tie-down. Or a fridge.
- Bruce
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:You can't store lawn furniture and a second hand Weber grill at a tie-down. Or a fridge.
You can if you are tying down a Pilatus. :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BTW, have you thought about an airplane that can go in/on a trailer? Best of both worlds, you get protection and low cost. With an enclosed trailer you don't even lose garage space to store it. The only downside is the inconvenience of having to haul the trailer to the airport (or grass strip...or back yard if you have one large enough...).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
mcurcio1989

Post by mcurcio1989 »

^ The aircraft I am getting takes 30 min to remove the wings so it absolutely can be stored in a trailer and this is definitely something I have considered. The problem is that would realistically take an hour to set up and tear down and in the summer when I will be flying a lot that is not time I want to waste. To be honest right now I am really leaning towards docking it on a jet dock at my parents house a few miles down the road with covers and then putting it in a trailer or hanger for the winter months.

I confirmed today that since the body of water my parents live on is a federal navigable waterway it is totally legal to land and dock there. That is really the dream for me, being able to drive 5 min down the road and then take off from the water.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.