Excess HP LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Excess HP LSA

Post by dstclair »

For LSA purposes we have to throtte back the Jabiru 3300. LIke I said, the engine is actually rated at 120 HP @ 3300 RPMS and the EABs will normally fly around 3100, we have to stay at 2850 RPMs to limit us to 120 Knots. Most LSAs were designed to fall in the 120 Knots category and the Lightning was actually designed to fly faster. They had to reverse their thinking and slow the plane down to meet the requirements. We have different wheel pants, no gear leg fairings and have to use a different prop.
The Lightning and Carbon Cub have power available that would cause them to exceed LSA rules if used. Idle curiosity question: is the throttle artificially retarded to force compliance or is the Lightning (and Cub) placarded to "Do not exceed 2850 RPM"?

I'm assuming it's placarded and/or part of the operating limitations.

If so, could one take S-LSA to straight Experimental? You'd need to be a PP to fly it but might be an interesting route to a 145kt airplane that has a 100lbs more in MTOW (EAB version specs for Lightning).
dave
drseti

Re: Excess HP LSA

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:could one take S-LSA to straight Experimental?
Yes, but I see several drawbacks, aside from the PP/medical certificate issue:

(1) Insurance costs more for an exp.

(2) Resale value will take a nosedive.

(3) Once you've done that, the only way to get it back to S-LSA is if the mfgr will agree to accept the liability. I doubt that any of them will, so it's likely a one-way street.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

dstclair wrote:
For LSA purposes we have to throtte back the Jabiru 3300. LIke I said, the engine is actually rated at 120 HP @ 3300 RPMS and the EABs will normally fly around 3100, we have to stay at 2850 RPMs to limit us to 120 Knots. Most LSAs were designed to fall in the 120 Knots category and the Lightning was actually designed to fly faster. They had to reverse their thinking and slow the plane down to meet the requirements. We have different wheel pants, no gear leg fairings and have to use a different prop.
The Lightning and Carbon Cub have power available that would cause them to exceed LSA rules if used. Idle curiosity question: is the throttle artificially retarded to force compliance or is the Lightning (and Cub) placarded to "Do not exceed 2850 RPM"?

If so, could one take S-LSA to straight Experimental? You'd need to be a PP to fly it but might be an interesting route to a 145kt airplane that has a 100lbs more in MTOW (EAB version specs for Lightning).
There are several kinds of experimental certificates, but none of them would realy work well for what you are suggesting. The most likely would be experimental exhibition category, but the operations allowed are kind of limited. Tom
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

dstclair wrote:Idle curiosity question: is the throttle artificially retarded to force compliance or is the Lightning (and Cub) placarded to "Do not exceed 2850 RPM"?

Not artificially retarded, POH dictates 2850 RPMs

Arion also WILL NOT let you have the pressure recovery wheelpants the EABs use and will not put on gear leg fairings that help to increase the speed by another 5-8 knots.

Instead of converting the S-LSA to EXP just go EAB and save a lot of money. It won't have the resale value but it will be a GO FAST machine.
howardnmn

Excess HP LSA

Post by howardnmn »

is it possible to go from s-lsa to eab? 51% rule? is it possible to go s-lsa to e-lsa (even if mfr didn't go out of business)?

i ask because i woould like to: experiment with VGs on a Remos or CT; change the instrument panel? etc and don't think mfr would give LOA (letter of authorization) i don't care about resale value and can't imagine insurance would increase substantially

does mfr of s-lsa have any say? can they refuse to sell spares (as i've heard on CT wen board)?
Remos GX nXES. N999GX
smith ranch/san rafael airport (CA35)
california
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Going from S-LSA to E-LSA is a fairly defined process and does not require the manufacturer to go out of business. A former poster on this forum did it with his SkyArrow and I know of another who went E-LSA with a CT.

From a prior response, you could go Experimental exhibition but that comes with lots of restrictions.
dave
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Dave is exactly right, you can go from S-LSA to E-LSA very easy. If you ever change your mind it is much more difficult to go back and MUST have manufacture's approval.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

For what you are talking about there is also experimental R/D. The recent CT on floats was put into the R/D area for testing of the floats. After making sure it all complied with ASTM standards it was put back to a S-LSA. Tom
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:The recent CT on floats was put into the R/D area for testing of the floats. After making sure it all complied with ASTM standards it was put back to a S-LSA. Tom
I'm sure this was coordinated very closely with Flight Design, since they had to approve its return to S-LSA. As I think I mentioned in a prior post, when a manufacturer authorizes a plane taken out of S-LSA to be returned to that status, they are assuming liability (most won't want to, once a plane has been modified in any way, even if it's later modified back to original condition.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US