Equivalent of AAA for pilots?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

jpleonard2000

Equivalent of AAA for pilots?

Post by jpleonard2000 »

Recently, I had a flat tire in a rental plane at a very remote airfield. Long story short, we weren't able to patch the tire, the owner of the plane had to bail me out, and it ended up being a 12 hour ordeal. The plane owner was surprisingly nice about the whole thing! The experience got me wondering about what pilots do if they are forced to make an emergency landing at a remote airport with limited nearby services. Hiring a car to the nearest town is likely to be expensive if it is even possible. Is there any equivalent of a roadside assistance program for stranded pilots? I would definitely be willing to pay a monthly fee for a service that would provide emergency transport in the event of an emergency landing. Getting the plane repaired and back home is obviously another issue, but it seems that just getting transport out of the boonies could be a major hassle.
drseti

Re: Equivalent of AAA for pilots?

Post by drseti »

Savvy Aviation Maintenance Management (www.savvyaviation.com) does offer a Breakdown Assistance program for an annual fee. They even call it AAA for GA! If you happen to be AOG (Aircraft On Ground), they will find suitable shops in your area, help with diagnosis, and assist in procurement of parts. The company was founded by Mike Busch, a well known A&P/IA (you may have read his articles in AOPA Pilot and Sport Aviation, or tuned into his monthly EAA webinars).

Of course, the dominant engine in the LSA universe is the Rotax, and the vast majority of certified GA aircraft are Lycomimg and Continental powered. Mike freely admits to limited Rotax experience within his company, so he hired me this year to be Savvy's resident Rotax guru (on a consulting basis).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jpleonard2000

Re: Equivalent of AAA for pilots?

Post by jpleonard2000 »

Thanks for the tip, Paul. That's exactly what I was looking for! I figured there had to be a company out there offering this kind of service.