Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

Post by dstclair »

My daughter and I flew to an FAA Safety seminar on VFR flight plans and SAR (Search and Rescue).

I have a 121.5 Mhz ELT and was planning to upgrade to a 406Mhz at some point in the future. I figured between mobile phones, multiple GPS and talking center this wasn't something that was at the top of the list. A little factoid changed my mind.
  • A 121.5 Mhz Elt will narrow the search area to around 30,000 to 100,000 square miles depending on the altitude it is detected
  • A non-GPS 406Mhz ELT will narrow the area to 12 square miles
  • A GPS enable 406Mhz ELT will narrow the area to 0.75 square miles or less
Being on an IFR flight plan or VFR flight following is useful but still takes an average of 8 hrs to find a downed plane with only a 121.5 Mhz ELT.

Also, always keep your mobile phone on when in flight as it will ping cell towers and the SAR team can use that to pin point you as well. They had a a rescue where the pilot was stuck upside down in a field and his unreachable mobile phone was on and they were able to find him based on the cell towers. It did take them around 12 hours to find him though.
dave
Merlinspop

Re: Reasons to install a 406Mhz ELT

Post by Merlinspop »

AOPA has fought tooth and nail against mandating these ELTs. Sure, they're not cheap, but I disagree with their stance.
- Bruce
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

I don't mind if they mandate ELTs, but should allow alternatives like a PLB, EPIRB or even a SPOT. Also, if you don't have one, a portion of the search & rescue mission should be charged to you.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Although I am very much in favor of the newer 406 MHz ELTS, I do not feel they should be mandated. My person view is that safety equipment should not be a legal or regulatory requirement.

I'm on the fence about PLBs being an adequate substitute since I believe they all require a manual action to enable an distress call. What happens in the event the pilot is incapacitated? An ELT sends the signal if the forces exceed a certIn level or can be done manually.

Of course, the local CAP suggested both :)
dave
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

dstclair wrote:I'm on the fence about PLBs being an adequate substitute since I believe they all require a manual action to enable an distress call. What happens in the event the pilot is incapacitated? An ELT sends the signal if the forces exceed a certIn level or can be done manually.
That's why I like the SPOT, it's tracking you all the time, so emergency activation isn't necessarily needed. If you can hit the button, OK, but otherwise at least they know where you are. In Alaska, use of the SPOT is part of the FAA safety routine. If the tracking stops other than where it was supposed to, they initiate a rescue.

Unfortunately, the record for ELTs properly activating upon a crash is not that good... something less than 50% I think.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

What about a PLB for planes that do not have one installed and installation of ELT is cost prohibitive? Doesn't this basically use the same technology as a 406 ELT?

These are "not very expensive" and don't require a subscription. but of course you do not get the automatic activation.

http://www.rei.com/product/815753/acr-e ... tor-beacon

Spot is $220 per year at a minimum (per http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103) plus $125 for the device. PLB starts at $280 , no subscription fees.

I guess the idea of knowing your last transmitted position of SPOT is pretty good though. Because if you crash and smash all electronics, someone knows where you are when they get around to looking for you , if they know where to look. When you say "if SPOT stops transmitting, they start search/rescue", who is they? Is this assuming someone has access to your SPOT trail and/or is looking out for you (like family or ground crew)?

From what I've read , PLB/ELT works faster--don't know if that is accurate though.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

There's a good argument that PLB/EPIRB are "better" or "more professional", and that may be true. But, I can use the SPOT every day. I can test, play with it, and use it every day. I can use it hiking, boating, biking. I can loan it to a friend. I've used mine since 2007 dozens of times a year. I have the confidence that it works. My yearly subscription is $181, including tracking and GEOS search & rescue insurance. They'll pay up to $50K per rescue (twice a year) to make sure you are safely extracted from a bad situation. Pretty much the same people are contacted once you push the rescue button in either system.

The FAA in Alaska now takes SPOT information as an optional part of the Flight Plan. They track the little dots and initiate a search just like they would if you didn't show up on a flight plan.

One thing about PLBs.... batteries. Last time I checked, it costs less to buy a new PLB than get the batteries replaced (if you can find them). And they have to be replaced every 5(?) years. More often if you have one of the new ones that allow you to test the PLB. This is especially troubling knowing it might not work at all near the end of their life, or work at a diminished capacity or amount of time. I've heard several reports of people checking their 406 ELTs that are 3-5 years old, only to find that their batteries were dead. :shock:
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

pjcampbell wrote:What about a PLB for planes that do not have one installed and installation of ELT is cost prohibitive? Doesn't this basically use the same technology as a 406 ELT?

These are "not very expensive" and don't require a subscription. but of course you do not get the automatic activation.

http://www.rei.com/product/815753/acr-e ... tor-beacon

Spot is $220 per year at a minimum (per http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103) plus $125 for the device. PLB starts at $280 , no subscription fees.

I guess the idea of knowing your last transmitted position of SPOT is pretty good though. Because if you crash and smash all electronics, someone knows where you are when they get around to looking for you , if they know where to look. When you say "if SPOT stops transmitting, they start search/rescue", who is they? Is this assuming someone has access to your SPOT trail and/or is looking out for you (like family or ground crew)?

From what I've read , PLB/ELT works faster--don't know if that is accurate though.
PLBs and ELTS function the same and are contractually monitored worldwide by 40+ countries. Only functional difference is that an ELT will automatically send a distress signal in a crash. Response rate is measured in seconds as per NOAA.

I would not consider SPOT as a PLB equivalent. The SOS goes to a private service who then contacts the local EMS, police, fire department, etc taken from their database of local contacts. The tracking is a nice feature for friends and family and would help in a rescue but not as much as you'd think. Assuming a fast update rate of every 5 minutes and 110 kts cruise means the search area would be around 300 square miles.

For tracking, I'm going with ADS-B which updates center every 0.5 to 1 second. Search area would be well less than 1 square mile.

Also, ELTS are much more reliable than mentioned above. From AOPA:
The original ELTs were manufactured to the specifications of an FAA technical standard order (TSO-C91) and have an activation rate of less than 25 percent in actual crashes and a 97 percent false-alarm rate. In 1985, a new TSO-C91A ELT was developed, which substantially reduces or eliminates many problems with the earlier model. The TSO-C91A provides improved performance and reliability (with an activation rate of 73 percent in actual crashes) at a reasonable cost to users ($200-$500 including installation). Since then, an even more advanced model of ELT has been developed — the C126 ELT (406 MHz). This newest model activates 81-83 percent of the time and transmits a more accurate and near-instantaneous emergency signal by utilizing digital technology.
dave
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Back to the OP... a clear advantage of 406s (and PLB/SPOT/EPIRB) is that the transmission is traced to *a person* (or vehicle). This makes eliminating the false alarms (maybe 70%) much easier. A simple, quick, phone call can determine if the person is even in the area. No blaring anonymous beep, coming from a very undetermined location.

I hadn't even though about the "tracking" possibilities of ADS/B. I wonder how that will work in a valley between 10K peaks around the wild west?
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

dstclair wrote: PLBs and ELTS function the same and are contractually monitored worldwide by 40+ countries. Only functional difference is that an ELT will automatically send a distress signal in a crash. Response rate is measured in seconds as per NOAA.
That is true...IF the ELT antenna has not been sheared off in the impact. My current plan is to buy a 406MHz PLB, so I don't have to go through the time and expense of getting the new ELT installed, still get all the benefits except for automatic activation, and with a 406MHz transmitter more likely to still be transmitting after an impact (my opinion of course).

I have a 400nm+ cross country coming up which includes about 60nm over the Okefenokee swamp, I'm probably going to get the PLB before that trip.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Andy -- the retrofit ACK-451 comes with two antennas: one for mounting on the plane the other for portable use. I would guess most others offer the same package. Just keep the portable antenna in the plane and plug it in if necessary in the event you lose the other.
dave
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

ct4me wrote:Back to the OP... a clear advantage of 406s (and PLB/SPOT/EPIRB) is that the transmission is traced to *a person* (or vehicle). This makes eliminating the false alarms (maybe 70%) much easier. A simple, quick, phone call can determine if the person is even in the area. No blaring anonymous beep, coming from a very undetermined location.

I hadn't even though about the "tracking" possibilities of ADS/B. I wonder how that will work in a valley between 10K peaks around the wild west?
Tim -- ADS-B has satellite tracking for the 978 MHz band to handle difficult terrain: http://www.ads-b.com/news.htm
dave
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

dstclair wrote:Tim -- ADS-B has satellite tracking for the 978 MHz band to handle difficult terrain: http://www.ads-b.com/news.htm
Too bad it's not part of the regular ADS/B system. 'Looks like you need to buy more equipment and/or pay separately for the extra service.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Btw -- ADS-B is not radar so the mountains won't be the same limiting factor as today. Your signal should be picked up, at least, at any point you could talk to Center. Probably more, since there are more ADS-B ground stations and, I believe, a higher concentration in the US mountains.
dave