Midwest LSA Expo, 9/5-9/7/19

Post your upcoming fly-ins, pancake breakfasts and other events here!

Moderator: drseti

Mikey B

Midwest LSA Expo, 9/5-9/7/19

Postby Mikey B » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm planning to stop in at the Midwest LSA Expo (www.midwestlsaexpo.com) in Mt. Vernon, IL on 9/5-7, 2019. It happens to be on my cross-country route west (by road, sadly) and at the right time. Does anyone have any info, suggestions, etc. about this event? It doesn't seem to get much love here.

chicagorandy

Re: Midwest LSA Expo, 9/5-9/7/19

Postby chicagorandy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Just booked a room for 2 nights at a nice local economy motel for the event. Decided to add an easy road trip to my new Hyundai SUV - lol - A straight shot down I57, and 4-1/2 hours later I'm there.

From their website it looks like a relatively small, fun affair. I'm hoping to mooch a demo flight on an LSA or three while I'm there? Just back from 9 days volunteering at Oshkosh, so this will be a dramatic change of pace I'm thinking. Free admission, free parking, just a couple miles out of town at most, AND airplanes. What's not to like?

Mt Vernon seems to have a good selection of places to eat and stay at all budget levels with a small town atmosphere. Here's hoping it will be worth the drive.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Mikey B

Postby Mikey B » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 am

Yup, it's no Oshkosh for sure, but all sport/LSA, and from the list of exhibitors it looks like most of the major LSA builders will be there. I think I'd better leave the checkbook home!

Warmi

Postby Warmi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 am

I wonder how it is to fly-in there ... I presume it is not as bat-crazy as Oshkosh ?

Any experience ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

3Dreaming

Postby 3Dreaming » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 am

I had a booth there the first several years. It is more relaxed that Oshkosh for sure. There are a lot of tire kickers, but if you are looking to buy something it is a setting where the dealer can give you plenty of dedicated time. The show staff and volunteers do an outstanding job to make both vendors and visitors welcome.

Flying in should not be a problem, but they are a fairly busy class E airport. There is a bunch of training that goes on there, both VFR and IFR.

The biggest thing is the weather. Over the years they have been plagued with terrible weather for the event. Last year several that were signed up to attend cancelled because of the forecast. The remnants of hurricane Irma reeked havoc dumping around 10 inches of rain on Saturday.

Warmi

Postby Warmi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks - I am gonna try to fly in there this year ... it is only about 2 hour flight from Chicago and hopefully, as long as weather cooperates, should end up being a quick, one day fun trip.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

Return to “Upcoming Events”