Takeoffs and Landings in non-LSA towards passenger currency

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

FastEddieB

Re: Takeoffs and Landings in non-LSA towards passenger currency

Postby FastEddieB » Wed May 06, 2020 6:32 pm

My brain hurts.

Don’t know if this helps or not, but the top two lines of the Airworthiness Certificate for my E-LSA Sky Arrow.

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
FastEddieB@mac.com

drseti

Postby drseti » Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 am

That's as it should be, Eddie. Since you converted to ELSA, your aircraft's category (for registration purposes) is indeed Experimental (operating Light Sport). Before, when it was an SLSA, your aircraft's category was probably Special (operating Light Sport), and that should be what it said on the Special Airworthiness Certificate . This is consistent with FAR 1.1.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

drseti

Postby drseti » Thu May 07, 2020 2:26 pm

20200507_152403.jpg
20200507_152403.jpg (131.66 KiB) Viewed 284 times

Here's another Special Airworthiness Certificate, this one from an SLSA. Note that the Category is Light-Sport, and the Class (here referred to as Purpose) is Weight-Shift-Control.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

drseti

Postby drseti » Thu May 07, 2020 2:53 pm

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, I don't think that Category should be Light Sport. I think it should be Airplane Single Engine Land/sea, Rotorcraft Gyroplane, Ect.

I don't really think it should be either, Tom. Nevertheless, if you look at the Airworthiness Certificates, you'll see that it is.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

3Dreaming

Postby 3Dreaming » Thu May 07, 2020 4:03 pm

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Paul, I don't think that Category should be Light Sport. I think it should be Airplane Single Engine Land/sea, Rotorcraft Gyroplane, Ect.

I don't really think it should be either, Tom. Nevertheless, if you look at the Airworthiness Certificates, you'll see that it is.

When I said it shouldn't be it was in regards to what a sport pilot can fly. That is what I got from your post. For airworthiness certificate a sport pilot is certainly not limited to flying something in the light sport category. They can fly aircraft in the standard category, primary category, experimental category as well as the light sport category.

The light sport category as it is use in the regulations is just a way to issue an airworthiness certificate to a factory built light sport aircraft, that is not eligible to receive an airworthiness certificate in one of the other manners. Plus not be encumbered with the restrictions that go along with an experimental certificate.

So in conclusion what matters for a light sport aircraft is that it meets the CFR 1.1 definition, not how it was certified. Sport pilots are not restricted to light sport category. They can fly any category of aircraft regardless of how it was certified as long as it meet the definition.

drseti

Postby drseti » Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 pm

3Dreaming wrote: what matters for a light sport aircraft is that it meets the CFR 1.1 definition, not how it was certified. Sport pilots are not restricted to light sport category. They can fly any category of aircraft regardless of how it was certified as long as it meet the definition.

I concur completely. Well said.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Scooper

Postby Scooper » Thu May 07, 2020 6:36 pm

My Zodiac Special Airworthiness Certificates before converting to experimental (S-LSA):
Special Airworthiness Cert N601KE S-LSA Category and Purpose.jpg
Special Airworthiness Cert N601KE S-LSA Category and Purpose.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 261 times

..and after (E-LSA):
Special Airworthiness Cert N601KE E-LSA Category and Purpose.jpg
Special Airworthiness Cert N601KE E-LSA Category and Purpose.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)

Return to “Ask The Examiner”