St. Simons Island for 4th of July Lunch

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

St. Simons Island for 4th of July Lunch

Post by MrMorden »

On the 4th I went to St. Simons Island (KSSI) on the Georgia Coast for lunch with my buddy. I flew the CT of course, he flew his Waiex (Y-tailed Sonex), N111KX. We had a great time, weather was fantastic but hot (90°F+) and a little bumpy on the way home. Below is the landing video at KSSI, with a couple points:

1) We flew a really big pattern and a long final, so we could get a look at the big object you'll see in the water. It's a giant ship that got it's CG too high and rolled over on its side, dumping 4000 new cars into the water! The thing is massive, probably a billion dollar headache for some insurance adjuster...

2) My approach is a little different from my norm. I left the flaps at 15° and came in at fairly low speed and with power. You'll hear the reason why on the radio; a Citation jet departed right before my landing, and I wanted to precisely control my sink & touchdown and exactly hit the numbers to avoid his wake turbulence. It worked out as planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmYZojJp_w&
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
AGLyme

Re: St. Simons Island for 4th of July Lunch

Post by AGLyme »

Good work Andy...
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Thanks Andy . . . good work! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Very nicely done, Andy!

We have friends on St. Simon’s and were there in February.

A ground (sea?)-level view of the shipwreck:

And a commemorative t-shirt!

Impressive video about the salvage operation on YouTube. https://youtu.be/0uJIwQDrXPA

As an aside, next time you need to burn up some mogas, why don’t you head up and visit us at our Tennessee digs?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Thanks guys.

Yeah Eddie, it's impressive - hundreds of millions in insurance losses, I'm sure. They locals told me they are barging up a mobile shipyard from Amelia island and going to cut the hull into slices and dismantle each slice. A huge amount of work involved.

I'd like to come visit, email me a GPS location or airport ID and I'll see what I can make happen!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA