912 ULS HARD START, ROUGH RUN

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: 912 ULS HARD START, ROUGH RUN

Post by ShawnM »

bitten192 wrote:SI-912-028 says I have a type "C" engine which requires replacing the Flywheel Hub. Is there any advantage replacing the modules with the easy start modules and not replacing the hub. I would rather wait until gearbox inspection time to replace the hub Thoughts?
You do not need to replace the flywheel. Just install the ignition modules and wire them up according to the diagram with the additional wire to your start solenoid. Soft start works great with just the modules alone.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

First off the gearbox and the flywheel hub are at opposite ends of the engine so waiting on one for the other would only save a little down time.

What the SB doesn't say is that you will get some of the advantage for the soft start with just the modules, you just don't get all of the advantage. Replacing just the modules will give you exactly what you are looking for. The advantage of doing the flywheel is that it further reduces the timing for starting as compared to the module alone.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: What the SB doesn't say is that you will get some of the advantage for the soft start with just the modules,
I would say not just some, but most of the advantage. As far as what's required, doing both the flywheel hub and the modules is only a requirement for certified engines on certified aircraft. For a ULS on an SLSA or ELSA, you are certainly free to do just the modules and cable (and everybody I know who's done just that mod has been happy with the results).

So, feel free to just retard the timing for start-up. (Did I get it right this time, Tom?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: What the SB doesn't say is that you will get some of the advantage for the soft start with just the modules,
I would say not just some, but most of the advantage. As far as what's required, doing both the flywheel hub and the modules is only a requirement for certified engines on certified aircraft. For a ULS on an SLSA or ELSA, you are certainly free to do just the modules and cable (and everybody I know who's done just that mod has been happy with the results).

So, feel free to just retard the timing for start-up. (Did I get it right this time, Tom?)
I think so.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:

I agree with Paul, you get most of the advantages of the soft start modules by just installing the modules. I just did the modules on my plane and I'm very happy with the results. :mrgreen:
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Thanks for all the info! Ernie
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

I checked out the ignition switch and it works properly. Did the heat gun in the B module and the engine started and ran OK. I will order new soft start modules. Thanks for all your help.
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Follow up - new Soft Start modules run great!
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Super, Ernie! I'm going to be ordering mine next week. I'm not up to date on current pricing. Do you care to say, or do you think I won't want to know?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:Super, Ernie! I'm going to be ordering mine next week. I'm not up to date on current pricing. Do you care to say, or do you think I won't want to know?
Just give Rafaela a call and ask her NOT to give you a total before she charges your card. :mrgreen:
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

The 2 modules and "y" wire was a little over $1800. She did not charge me tax because I live outside Florida and shipping was free. 2 day shipping. Good luck. Ernie
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks. Ernie. That's within my budget (I had put aside $2k for the upgrade).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Our SportStar is starting easily and flying great, with its new Rotax electronic ignition modules and soft-start Y cable, installed Saturday.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

As slow as I am, the mod took me 2.5 hours. But, 1/2 hour of that was for the thorough run-up and post-maintenance test flight. I was not about to let students or renters be the ones to discover a Mechanic Induced Failure!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

drseti wrote:As slow as I am, the mod took me 2.5 hours. But, 1/2 hour of that was for the thorough run-up and post-maintenance test flight. I was not about to let students or renters be the ones to discover a Mechanic Induced Failure!
I would certainly appreciate that level of commitment from a mechanic!