Mandatory SB CIRCLIP

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

Mandatory SB CIRCLIP

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

So, it appears my carbs will need the circlip’s replaced. I’m wondering how big a job this is to accomplish and if anything else is involved?
FastEddieB

Re: Mandatory SB CIRCLIP

Post by FastEddieB »

I saw that. My engine is circa 2007 and is not listed.

Unless the circlip was replaced on one of the two carb overhauls. Is that routinely done?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Shouldn't be to bad, but sometimes the fixation screw can be a bear. A little heat, and a good fitting screw driver will make removing the fixation screw easier. Make sure the clip goes back in the correct groove, if not the mixture will not be right.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:Shouldn't be to bad, but sometimes the fixation screw can be a bear. A little heat, and a good fitting screw driver will make removing the fixation screw easier. Make sure the clip goes back in the correct groove, if not the mixture will not be right.
As an aside, when doing an operation such as this, it’s a good idea to take photos at many steps along the way. Helps with things like the choke disc, which if it’s like on the motorcycle Bings can be mounted 180° off. Which spring goes where. That sort of thing. Would be a great reference for circlip position as well.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:As an aside, when doing an operation such as this, it’s a good idea to take photos at many steps along the way. Helps with things like the choke disc, which if it’s like on the motorcycle Bings can be mounted 180° off. Which spring goes where. That sort of thing. Would be a great reference for circlip position as well.
Excellent advice.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote: I’m wondering how big a job this is to accomplish and if anything else is involved?
It looks pretty simple. However, the SB estimates the labor at 1.1 hours, which I consider quite optimistic.

Coincidentally, about half an hour after I read the SB, one of my maintenance customers emailed me to say he saw it, and his S/N is affected. He says Evektor will pay the parts and labor (I guess he's still under warranty). I had to explain to him that Rotax will only reimburse him for their estimated 1.1 hours labor, whereas I have to charge him for actual hours. So, it's not like an automotive recall, where you just bring it to the dealer and it doesn't cost you anything.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

drseti wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote: I’m wondering how big a job this is to accomplish and if anything else is involved?
It looks pretty simple. However, the SB estimates the labor at 1.1 hours, which I consider quite optimistic.

Coincidentally, about half an hour after I read the SB, one of my maintenance customers emailed me to say he saw it, and his S/N is affected. He says Evektor will pay the parts and labor (I guess he's still under warranty). I had to explain to him that Rotax will only reimburse him for their estimated 1.1 hours labor, whereas I have to charge him for actual hours. So, it's not like an automotive recall, where you just bring it to the dealer and it doesn't cost you anything.
Thanks drseti, for the excellent explanation. I’m waiting to hear from TAF, to see what they say on this, as I’m still under warranty.