New LSA rules and insurance

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

AviatorCrafty

New LSA rules and insurance

Postby AviatorCrafty » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:10 pm

Exploring the upcoming LSA rule changes and what they're planning to put in, it's interesting to wonder how all of this will affect insurance. It's been said that right now things such as up to four seats and a "power index" (not sure what this is) are on the table, my guess is they're maybe going to try to model it after the recreational license and perhaps allow sport pilots to fly something like a 172 but while still being restricted to one passenger. If this were the case someone like me could legally walk to a flight school that is a 7 minute from house (they dont have any LSAs so it's no use to me right now) and fly a one of their 172s, however what I would like to see play out is if the insurance companies would be ok with a sport pilot flying something like a 172 under the driver's license medical. Besides the insurance companies I've seen some flight schools that either don't have any clue what the sport pilot license is or don't know too much about it. I'd even go as far as to predict some places, should sport pilots end up being able to fly a 172, may only let a sport pilot fly a 172 but only if they held a third class medical.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

drseti

Re: New LSA rules and insurance

Postby drseti » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:06 am

Don't get too excited about proposed rule changes, and don't hold your breath. It took FAA over a decade to create Basic Med after it was proposed, and that only happened because of a Congressional mandate. And, we have absolutely no idea what the final LSA rule change will actually be, if there ever is one. For now, your only real choice is to work within the existing regulations.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Return to “Ask The Insurance Agent”