61.405 & 61.411 - Becoming a CFIS but confused on these

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

FutureCFIS

61.405 & 61.411 - Becoming a CFIS but confused on these

Post by FutureCFIS »

So I'm looking into the legal regulations on requirements to become a Sport CFI and I'm getting confused on how to meet some of them. For those of you that are already Sport CFI's, can I get your input on how you met these requirements?

61.405(a) - Requires endorsement before taking any knowledge exam including FOI & Sport Instructor Airplane (SIA). I got a ground school kit and they don't give any FOI endorsements. Most places don't seem to endorse for FOI. How would I meet this requirement?

61.411(g) - This is a fun one haha: how does one get training for "Soaring Techniques" if we're going after an Airplane rating for CFI-S??

Would love your thoughts here, as I've been confused on how I'm going to meet these requirements :)

Thanks folks!
3Dreaming

Re: 61.405 & 61.411 - Becoming a CFIS but confused on these

Post by 3Dreaming »

For the endorsement, get with the instructor that you plan to use for your sport instructor training and get and endorsement for the FOI that states you have received the training required by 61.407, (a), (1-6). You will likely not need it when you go take the knowledge test, but you examiner may want to see it when you take your checkride.

61.411 (g) applies to powered parachutes. You only need to worry about 61.411 (a).