First season as a Sport CFI

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

TDFlyer

First season as a Sport CFI

Post by TDFlyer »

Passed my CFI-S checkride a year ago with just over 200hrs total time. I am part of a small club that owns a J-3 Cub, we don't fly it in the winter. Our club has a long-time instructor that everyone (including me) uses. I figured this summer I would log a few hours of dual given, maybe do a flight review, dabble in some instructing...

And then our usual club instructor lost his medical. And we got 4 new members. And suddenly I was the only (barely) qualified Cub instructor in the area. Talk about being thrown into the deep end.

This year so far I have done 3 Tailwheel Endorsements, 4 flight reviews, soloed (successfully!) a zero-time student, logged almost 50 hours of dual given, 50 flights so far this season. My teaching wasn't perfect or polished and I warned my students to be patient with me, everyone was awesome.

Definitely look into getting your Sport CFI if you have access to a suitable aircraft, the whole process was memorable
Otto

Re: First season as a Sport CFI

Post by Otto »

Awesome. Good for you. Instructing is awesome as long as you don't do too much of it(the exact # that is too much varies.) Nice thing for aviation, nice thing for yourself. You'll probably notice your own flying getting better. Win win.
designrs

Re: First season as a Sport CFI

Post by designrs »

Nice!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser