Page 1 of 3

All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 am
by mhaleem
I think I've read this correctly from the Federal Register dated June 27, 2018: (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Allows all training received from a sport pilot instructor to be cred- ited towards a higher certificate or rating.

This is good news right!!!???

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 am
by chicagorandy
If true it would make sense. It's not like SP or PP CFIs are teaching how to fly in different air.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 am
by mhaleem
Lol. Yeah that definitely true

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 am
by Type47
If true, this will be huge.
I would think that sport cfi’s will be much more likely to stay around as instructors rather than being time builders toward commercial.
Now with the ability to buy used 10 year old LSAs for reasonable prices, maybe there will be increased availability in more markets for instruction.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm
by Hambone
So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:45 pm
by comperini
Here's a link: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/06/27/2018-12800/regulatory-relief-aviation-training-devices-pilot-certification-training-and-pilot-schools-and-other

I find it interesting (and sad) that so FEW people even bothered to respond to these NPRMs. Our voice can matter.

There was one commenter that was against allowing sport pilot instruction time to count. The commenter was basically bashing the skills and ability of sport pilot instructors. The FAAs response to this commenter was good... basically "you're wrong".

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:55 pm
by comperini
Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?


Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:54 pm
by Warmi
comperini wrote:
Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?


Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?


Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:51 pm
by TimTaylor
Warmi wrote:
comperini wrote:
Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?


Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?


Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...

Enough already of your right wing bs.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:55 pm
by FastEddieB
Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:08 pm
by TimTaylor
FastEddieB wrote:Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?

You well know that's a right-wing point of view.

"We're going to shrink the federal government until it's so small we can drown it in the bathtub."

This Warmi guy can't make a post without adding such a reference. If he can make the comment, I can respond.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:19 pm
by Wm.Ince
TimTaylor wrote:
Warmi wrote:Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...

Enough already of your right wing bs.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:26 pm
by TimTaylor
Delete.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:33 pm
by 3Dreaming
TimTaylor wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?

You well know that's a right-wing point of view.

"We're going to shrink the federal government until it's so small we can drown it in the bathtub."

This Warmi guy can't make a post without adding such a reference. If he can make the comment, I can respond.


I think most of the people I know within the FAA are Right Wingers as you call them, but having dealt with them for most of my adult life it certainly is a bureaucracy that lacks common sense at times.

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:39 pm
by TimTaylor
Delete.