Class D/C/B endorsement question

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

AviatorCrafty

Re: Class D/C/B endorsement question

Post by AviatorCrafty »

During my training, I flew into C/D airspace, however the location of the nearest class B airport made it impractical to fly there so my instructor gave me the B/C/D endorsement, however put a slash through all the B's and wrote "Limitations: no operations in Class B airspace" at the bottom, that's currently my goal to get that portion back one day.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

As an instructor in my opinion what your instructor did was wrong. You either endorse that you have done the training of 61.325, or don't make the endorsement. There is no regulatory requirement for flight training in each of the airspaces. Ground training on the operation in class B would be sufficient. That is kind of like doing a tail wheel endorsement and trying to add a limitation that it only applies to a J3 Cub because that is the airplane you did the training in.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Never saw it that way, the airport I fly out of has class C airspace next to it and I fly through it a lot. I've also flown into some class D airports too.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: There is no regulatory requirement for flight training in each of the airspaces. Ground training on the operation in class B would be sufficient.
Not just sufficient, Tom, but required. If the instructor hasn't at least given ground instruction on Class B procedures and restrictions, I don't think he or she should provide the endorsement.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: There is no regulatory requirement for flight training in each of the airspaces. Ground training on the operation in class B would be sufficient.
Not just sufficient, Tom, but required. If the instructor hasn't at least given ground instruction on Class B procedures and restrictions, I don't think he or she should provide the endorsement.
Absolutely training on class B airspace is required, but I think you are taking what I said out of context.

The point is that there is not a requirement for actual flight training in class B airspace, but you must certainly have training on the rules for operation in class B airspace. C and D airspace as well. Again either you have met the training requirements of 61.325 or you haven't, there is no in between. The only flight training needed to complete the endorsement is 3 take offs and landings at an airport with an operating control tower, the rest can be done with ground training.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I think we're both saying the same thing, Tom.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

So is my endorsement illegal? I'm actually kind of worried now :shock:
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

AviatorCrafty wrote:So is my endorsement illegal? I'm actually kind of worried now :shock:
Did the instructor give you ground training on the the flight rules for operation in class B airspace?
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

3Dreaming wrote:
AviatorCrafty wrote:So is my endorsement illegal? I'm actually kind of worried now :shock:
Did the instructor give you ground training on the the flight rules for operation in class B airspace?
Yeah we went over it. We just never went flying in actual class bravo airspace. He told me since we never flew in class B airspace he couldn't faithfully endorse me to do so.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

AviatorCrafty wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Yeah we went over it. We just never went flying in actual class bravo airspace. He told me since we never flew in class B airspace he couldn't faithfully endorse me to do so.
Well it sounds like you received the training you needed, but the instructor tried to impose limits when he shouldn't have.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

My instructor did sort of the same thing. Before my check ride he did not sign off the controlled airspace endorsement even though we had had a lot of Class D takeoffs/landings and some Class C. His reasoning being that the DPE would not be able to question me too much on it. Post-license we worked on the endorsement and initially he only signed off on me for Class D. On subsequent flights we did more Class C work but never actually flew through Class B(we did use flight following once but were not cleared through the Class B and flew under it). Subsequently he signed me off for all 3. I have flown through Class B several times using flight following. Sometimes I've thought it better to just fly over it as they usually have me flying at 6500' and have me deviate off my intended route.
drseti

Post by drseti »

rcpilot wrote: Before my check ride he did not sign off the controlled airspace endorsement even though we had had a lot of Class D takeoffs/landings and some Class C. His reasoning being that the DPE would not be able to question me too much on it.
Speaking as a DPE, my thoughts are just the opposite. When I see that an applicant already has the airspace endorsement, I am less likely to hammer on airspace during the oral. Besides, the DPE is never allowed to go beyond what's in the PTS.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US