Surviving the COVID-19 Shutdown

Got something to buy or sell? Post it here!

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Surviving the COVID-19 Shutdown

Post by drseti »

As you have probably gathered, due to COVID-19, my flight school is shut down for the duration. But, though revenue has disappeared, fixed expenses continue. In order to keep afloat while providing free safety training through forum posts, seminars, and webinars, I am forced to monetized the kind of advice I've always provided for free. To that end, I have created this Patreon page, through which my forum friends can contribute support at various levels (in return for some valuable benefits). See this link for details:

http://patreon.com/AvSport_LLC

Safe Skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Re: Surviving the COVID-19 Shutdown

Post by chicagorandy »

I hope you are able to apply for $$ assistance from the Feds?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

Unfortunately, the Small Business Administration programs in the stimulus package consist of payroll assistance (I have no payroll, as I have no employees), and loans from banks (more of a gift to the banks, than a bailout for small businesses).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

chicagorandy wrote:I hope you are able to apply for $$ assistance from the Feds?
You mean assistance from me and you ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

It is my understanding that the stimulus package includes some form of 'assistance' eligibility for independent contractors, with NO other employees, who are now unable to work due to the Coronavirus crisis? I am one myself but could easily be mistaken, as I often am -lol.

I welcome a new learning experience from anyone who knows for sure.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Well, yes, for independent contractors, there will be SBA low-interest loans. These, of course, are loans. That is, not federal assistance at all, but rather a way of allowing sole proprietorships and independent contractors to go deeper into debt. And, in the case of non-equity businesses, a way to let banks use our homes as collateral.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Gotcha - thanks for the clarification. My "independent contracting" is just a very small part-time 1099'd gig. I may look into Unemployment Compensation benefits though? I think that might also be available? Not sure.
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:I may look into Unemployment Compensation benefits though? I think that might also be available? Not sure.
Those benefits (and eligibility) vary by state. Couldn't hurt to look into it, though. Good luck!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I just signed up :D
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for your generous support, Dave. Don't forget that, when your next flight review is due, it's on the house.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:I may look into Unemployment Compensation benefits though? I think that might also be available? Not sure.
Well, I'm pleased to report that the Pandenic Unemployment Compensation (PUC) program was recently rolled out in my state, and I've now been approved for benefits. They are only about half of my lost revenues, but every little bit certainly helps!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Great news!

Today was promised by our Gov to be Illinois' roll-out date for their super modern PUA Portal …. so after waiting for two months can I finally apply for some lost 1099 income relief?

Of course not, this is Illinois after all. The website is unchanged with not even a mention of the continuing delay.
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's early yet, Randy. Give it to the close of business before you complain! :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

chicagorandy wrote:Great news!

Today was promised by our Gov to be Illinois' roll-out date for their super modern PUA Portal …. so after waiting for two months can I finally apply for some lost 1099 income relief?

Of course not, this is Illinois after all. The website is unchanged with not even a mention of the continuing delay.
I think every state that has been closed is having very same issues ... I guess for once IL is just being your typical average incompetent rather than pushing the envelope...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois