Pole Barn progress!

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Pole Barn progress!

Postby drseti » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Eddie, I especially like that you don't allow your contractors to stand on their heads and smoke.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

FastEddieB

Postby FastEddieB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:56 pm

drseti wrote:Eddie, I especially like that you don't allow your contractors to stand on their heads and smoke.

It was a carefully negotiated compromise!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
FastEddieB@mac.com

foresterpoole

Postby foresterpoole » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 pm

HAPPYDAN wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:
Jim Hardin wrote:Curious?

You used copper water lines. Why not PVC?

Most of the water lines are blue and red plastic - I forget the name. For some reason, many terminate with copper fittings - see the water heater above for an example.

I really had no input and trusted the plumbing subcontractor to make the right choices.

Those blue and red plastic pipes are really neat. Clearly defines hot and cold, but - as I found out the hard way, when a water pipe at my Cascades cabin froze and burst - this new stuff won't do that. So, If the power goes off during a winter storm (imagine that?), you won't have that problem to worry about.

The red and blue piping is called PEX, it is an acronym for cross linked polyethylene. The copper to you see are just flexible supply lines so you can change out the water heater faster (and bend it to fit if the replacement tank is a different size), most fittings are still designed for copper and will remain so for the foreseeable future, so terminal ends will be copper. PEX is super easy to run through walls, needs no soder joints, or pesky cleaner/glue like PVC. While highly burst resistant, it's still possible to bust PEX if it freezes solid with back pressure. It's a bit more expensive than PVC, but because it is easier to work with from a rough in stand point it's about the same price install wise.

Just FYI if you even see that grey plastic stuff, RUN AWAY it's horrible, I spent many an hour pulling it out of houses.
Ed

Return to “Eye Candy”