Flying Cold

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

Flying Cold

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

So, it’s warming up here in the NE today and tomorrow. Looks like 25F today and and virtual heatwave tomorrow at 35F. What’s the coldest temps you’ve flown in, pre-heating beforehand of course?
3Dreaming

Re: Flying Cold

Post by 3Dreaming »

Back when I flew pipeline and buried telephone cable I flew in - Fahrenheit on occasion. I was making anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 flights. I dressed warmly. If there was snow on the ground and it was sunny I wore 2 pairs of sunglasses.

Last Sunday my son and I went flying together, but each of us in separate Taylorcrafts. At 25° it was quite chilly, at least in the airplane I was in. The one he was flying is sealed up much tighter, and is not a drafty. He said he didn't even have the heat on during the first leg of out flight. I had my heat on, but it didn't seem to help much.
Mark Gregor

Re: Flying Cold

Post by Mark Gregor »

I flew back from the Sebring expo last Saturday afternoon. When I landed in MN it was -2 F. The heater in the Tecnam P2008 works pretty well.

I put my winter coat on for the last hour but the windshield defrost kept up fine and and I was comfortable.

As long as it’s above zero I fly regularly.

Mark