SF Bay Area Pilot

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Cbt jmp

SF Bay Area Pilot

Post by Cbt jmp »

Greetings, all

Private pilot turned Light Sport for med reasons, I am looking forward to getting back into the air after a 5 year hiatus. I attended Air Venture in 2018 to view the LSA airplanes, and will likely attend Sebring in January 2019. Anyone else going?

My screen name is short for "Combat Jump", which I use on another forum; a leftover from my Army days.

Looking forward to learning more about LSA ownership.

Kurt
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: SF Bay Area Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Welcome from NY
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome aboard, Soldier! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Kurt. Where in the Bay Area? What are you flying these days, and where is it based? (I am a founding member of the Frazier Lake Airpark 1C9, Hollister - though I moved East 29 years ago.)

I will be at Sebring, giving 4 different FAA WINGS seminars. Hope to meet you there.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:I will be at Sebring, giving 4 different FAA WINGS seminars.
Looking forward to seeing you again and attending a couple.
Which seminars are you planning on giving?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Bill, all my seminars will be held in Forum Tent #3, from 10:15 to 11:30 AM. Topics are as follows:

Wed - Four fundamentals of flight - breaking it down to basics
Thu - Get out of Dodge - preparing for cross-country flight
Fri - Charting your course - deciphering the VFR Sectional Chart
Sat - VFR navigation - three keys to the kingdom

All seminars offer FAA Safety Team WINGS credit. I encourage attendees to sign up in advance at faasafety.gov.

Looking forward to seeing you, and any other SportPilotTalk members, there!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

Thank you, all, for the kind welcome!

Paul, I live in San Mateo now, but have flown out of RHV in San Jose most of the time. I have landed on the grass strip at 1C9 in a Cessna 152 and a Beechcraft C23 Sundowner. Small world!

I will look for you at the seminars.

Cheers!

Kurt
drseti

Post by drseti »

Cbt jmp wrote:I have landed on the grass strip at 1C9 in a Cessna 152 and a Beechcraft C23 Sundowner. Small world!
It sure is, Kurt!

If you'd like to become a part of the Frazier Lake family, see my recent post in the Want Ads section.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

What do you know?

I was viewing a webinar about LSA Documentation on the EAA site, and was delighted to discover the speaker was none other than our own "drseti" - Paul Shuch!

The webinar was very informative - I look forward to catching Paul's seminars at Sebring next month!

Documentation (especially damage) during the pre-buy process, goes far to help the buyer in determining the integrity surrounding the maintenance history, and in any repairs.

Case in point: in November, 2018, I traveled to Florida to look at a plane I found listed for sale on Trade-A-Plane. There was no mention of damage history in the ad (its still up).

I spoke with the agent on the phone, and learned of left side gear being replaced. When I arrived to view the plane, he admitted that the wings and rudder had also been replaced following a crash (!)

I spent an hour reviewing the logs, receipts and correspondence, and could simply not match things up, "Rosetta Stone" style. Further complicating the issue were illegible or overwritten maintenance notes. I gave up, and departed; being polite, though disappointed.

And so, my LSA search continues!

Kurt
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Kurt, welcome to Sport Pilot Talk. I live in San Francisco and retired from Visa in San Mateo/Foster City in 2003. We've just bought a house up in Santa Rosa and will be moving up there sometime after the first of the year. I currently keep my Zodiac in a T-Hangar in Oakland (KOAK), but just leased a T-Hangar at Sonoma County Airport (KSTS), so will be moving the Zodiac to Santa Rosa to keep me company. :D

There are lots of good folks here with helpful advice.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

Stan,

I am pleased to meet you online, and hope we get to meet in person in the future.

I am already very encouraged at finding helpful fellow pilots on this forum; and more so knowing that we might actually meet (a rare thing on Internet forums). I just signed up for three seminars that Paul Shuch will be teaching at Sebring next month.

Your work at Visa was very close to my home (Fiesta Gardens). I am twice retired myself: a career in the Army, followed by a career with Northrop Grumman. Now I get to "work" on the fun stuff: getting back into flying, and ham radio (I've been licensed since I was a teen back in 1974).

I am a member of the West Valley Flying Club, and will do some flying in the club's C-162 soon.

Congratulations on your upcoming move to beautiful Santa Rosa!

Kurt
RTK

Post by RTK »

Welcome Kurt! Glad to see yet another member on the West Coast!

I’m down in Southern California, but hoping that if Sebring doesn’t come to fruition for me, that we can maybe catch up at other regional shows. AOPA’s Fly-In for 2019 is in Livermore (June) that I am hoping to attend. And there’s the Arizona fly-in (Copperstate, I think?). Hopefully we can meet up at one of these events!
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

Thanks for the welcome, RTK!

I will try to attend the Livermore event in June. I hope we can link up.

Cheers!

Kurt
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Kurt, regarding your army MOS and screen name, my favorite uncle (Mom's baby brother) was a member of the 517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team during WW2, and made three combat jumps in Europe (the last was during the Battle of the Bulge). When he came home from the war he brought with him a French bride (my favorite aunt) and an Irish Setter named Airborne.

https://www.517prct.org/
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Cbt jmp

Post by Cbt jmp »

Stan,

Much respect for your uncle. Its difficult to imagine someone, having made one combat jump, would volunteer a repeat, let alone making three! I was present for the 50th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1996; visiting Sainte-Mere-Eglise. I stood on the drop zone as veteran WWII paratroopers (in their 70's) descended into a muddy field outside the town in a re-enactment of their combat jump, 50 years prior. I will attend the ceremonies again this year, which marks the 75th anniversary. My combat jump was onto the Island of Grenada. I was a Sergeant then in C Co, 2/75 Ranger.