Sport Pilot training. 10-day killer course or Long Island?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

doylexus

Sport Pilot training. 10-day killer course or Long Island?

Post by doylexus »

I am thinking of sport pilot training and trying to figure out how. I was about to PPL solo when 9/11 happened and flight school closed. Now, only sport pilot license is available to me. I might be able to do this around Long Island, where I live, or maybe New Jersey, but the options seem expensive and physically distant by vehicle. I am thinking about going somewhere for an intensive "git-er-done" sport pilot and wondering best recommendations - or if anyone knows a good place near Long Island as an alternate? I am aware that the EAA has a $10,000 package available. Other than that . . ? Also, as far as I can tell, you can do all the training you need for sport pilot in a normal plane, but need to end up for the exam in an LSA plane and be familiar enough to pass.
rcpilot

Re: Sport Pilot training. 10-day killer course or Long Island?

Post by rcpilot »

As far as I am aware, Mid-Island flight school at Brookhaven airport, is the only one doing sport pilot on Long Island. And they just have a Skycatcher. Lakewood airport in NJ does it and I believe they have a couple sport cruisers. I bought and E-AB LSA and used that for my training. It's at Brookhaven.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Mid-Island now has a couple of Bristells. As for the 10-day option, they don't call it a Crash Course for nothing. ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

doylexus wrote:Also, as far as I can tell, you can do all the training you need for sport pilot in a normal plane, but need to end up for the exam in an LSA plane and be familiar enough to pass.

Not quite correct. You will need an LSA for solo.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Well, my friend, I did the 3 week $10,000+ course with EAA at Oshkosh. Good and bad. The bad - no certificate. I thought I was doing OK, but apparently they didn't. Now the good. EAA is a wonderful organization, and you will not be bored at their campus on Wittman field. They have 3 Skycatchers, very well maintained, 2 with PFD only and one with PFD and MFD. You will get all the hours you can stand and the weather will allow. The dormitory is basic, but comfortable. The meals are all prepared by a professional staff, and were very much to my liking. You also get the opportunity to take intro rides in some unique aircraft. I got a ride in a biplane and a T6 Texan (with maybe 5 minutes of stick time). If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Half Fast wrote:
doylexus wrote:Also, as far as I can tell, you can do all the training you need for sport pilot in a normal plane, but need to end up for the exam in an LSA plane and be familiar enough to pass.

Not quite correct. You will need an LSA for solo.
Not quite correct. 61.313 just requires that the training be in a single engine airplane for airplane category sport pilot. The solo could be in a non LSA, but you would have to hold a medical or BasicMed while performing that solo flight. That being said, it does kind of defeat the purpose of flying a LSA using a drivers license in lieu of a medical. The checkride does have to be in a LSA.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for the report, Dan. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, sorry you didn't complete the certificate, and hope that didn't deter you from continuing onward.

My concern is not about the experience itself, but rather retention of skills. There are exceptions, of course, but for most learners, cramming so much material into so little time results in information overload, such that the material never makes it into longterm memory, and skills atrophy rapidly afterward. But, as with all things aviation, YMMV.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

drseti wrote:Mid-Island now has a couple of Bristells. As for the 10-day option, they don't call it a Crash Course for nothing. ;)
I've seen the Bristell there recently. I know the owner of the flight school was selling them but I'm glad to see they've added it to the flight school.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

" I did the 3 week $10,000+ course with EAA at Oshkosh.The bad - no certificate.:

HappyDan…. are you still 'happy' about the costly adventure? Would you recommend it to others and now what are your plans?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote: My concern is not about the experience itself, but rather retention of skills. There are exceptions, of course, but for most learners, cramming so much material into so little time results in information overload, such that the material never makes it into longterm memory, and skills atrophy rapidly afterward. But, as with all things aviation, YMMV.
I think this might be a viable way to go, if one committed to building experience and possibly additional training in a timely fashion post-checkride.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Well, my friend, I did the 3 week $10,000+ course with EAA at Oshkosh. Good and bad. The bad - no certificate. I thought I was doing OK, but apparently they didn't. Now the good. EAA is a wonderful organization, and you will not be bored at their campus on Wittman field. They have 3 Skycatchers, very well maintained, 2 with PFD only and one with PFD and MFD. You will get all the hours you can stand and the weather will allow. The dormitory is basic, but comfortable. The meals are all prepared by a professional staff, and were very much to my liking. You also get the opportunity to take intro rides in some unique aircraft. I got a ride in a biplane and a T6 Texan (with maybe 5 minutes of stick time). If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer.
If you like drinking from a fire hose and have $10k burning a hole in your pocket it may not be a bad way to go but I can surely think of other ways to spend the spare $5K I'd save training the traditional way. Like use it to rent a LSA after I got my SPL. Some people are a "get 'er done" kinda person while others are "slow and steady win the race". Whatever suits your needs and you are comfortable with.

Stick with it HappyDan, it's a rewarding adventure as you probably already know. Good luck.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

chicagorandy wrote:" I did the 3 week $10,000+ course with EAA at Oshkosh.The bad - no certificate.:

HappyDan…. are you still 'happy' about the costly adventure? Would you recommend it to others and now what are your plans?
Randy, I'm still HappyDan for lots of other reasons. It was indeed a chunk of change, including airfare from Seattle, rental car, and sundries, but I had already planned for the expense. The course is very comprehensive, and a fantastic learning experience. You will learn all about the Skycatcher and the Garmin 300 panel, and get the opportunity to fly all over Wisconsin (and Lake MI). As for a recommendation, many others, mostly older guys like me (67) have successfully completed the course and even received endorsements for +87 knots and C and D airspace. Myself, I simply never understood where I went wrong. As an old black-boot Army Major, I can't function properly without accurate G-2. So, unless some ridiculous opportunity drops in my lap, I'm done. I still belong to EAA and AOPA, and support GA.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Flying is not for everyone and everyone is not for flying. We all have our own skill sets and abilities. There are plenty of pilots flying around that probably should not be.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:There are plenty of pilots flying around that probably should not be.
Are you speaking about yourself there, Tim? ;)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:There are plenty of pilots flying around that probably should not be.
Are you speaking about yourself there, Tim? ;)

Absolutely not, but thanks for the insult.
Retired from flying.