Hi from CT

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Andrew G

Re: Hi from CT

Post by Andrew G »

I trained in a Cub first, then a Kappa... at Chester, CT airport. The instructors there are A+... get in touch with me if you want information.

Will be transitioning to (my) CT beginning this Saturday weather permitting. Andrew
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

TimTaylor wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:"I was responding to ChicagoAndy"

And I will take that as a response to ME as well.

lol
Is he your brother?
No, but there are doubtless aviation interested Andrews here in my home town. lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

ShawnM wrote:Welcome Tony, you'll certainly enjoy the adventure.

I did exactly what you want to do, buy your own plane and train it it. I started my initial training in a Remos at a flight school just north of Orlando when I lived there. Very soon after I bought my very own (used) SportCruiser. You mentioned buying a Czech Sport. :mrgreen: I finished all my training and took my checkride in my own plane. Very satisfying for sure. A lot can be said for owning your own plane.

LSA's are a lot of fun and a joy to fly and at the same time easy to maintain. If you are into "gadgets" there's no shortage of that either. I love flying a modern airplane with it's many safety features and equipment that lessen my workload as a pilot. There are many, many great LSA's out there and I must say that you have great taste in airplanes, the SportCruiser is the best. (did I just swat a hornets nest?) :mrgreen:

Don't let the idea that "Sport Pilot and LSA is, for the most part, a rich old man's hobby" deter you, maybe you are old and rich, I dont know. I'm neither and I love sport pilot and LSA. I'm usually one of the younger people at my local aviation gatherings. I know several "younger" LSA owners and pilots. Rich? Not even close. I dig through the couch cushions before I head to the airport so I can buy just a little more fuel for the day. :mrgreen:

Whatever you decide to do I will say you won't be disappointed with a sport pilot rating and a wonderful LSA.

Blue skies Tony and enjoy your adventure.
Not sure what is old or rich, I'm 48. I am blessed with a great job as an investment accountant. I grew up dirt poor so I know how to stretch a dollar. I'm saving for college for a kid because by tuition assistance standards if you save even a little bit of money for retirement you are rich. My home in ct is a nest egg that I will be cashing in as soon as I retire. CT is way to expensive to retire in and don't ever die here with any assets, lest the tax man cometh.
My land in NH is my retirement location. No income tax/ no sales tax and a couple of miles from 8B2 (look I'm talking "pilot" already) = Heaven.

BTW the sportcruiser looks the part, my buddy who designs jet engines for pratt & whitney says if it looks like a turd it probably is. The bristell is also super sexy but out of my budget.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

amster105 wrote:Hi Tony

I'm from CT as well. I used to rent from Danbury, but they no longer have an LSA for rent.

There is a Light Sport at Chester, CT, even though it doesn't say it on their website. I'm not sure how far that is from you but that could be one option.
AWESOME info!! I'm 20 minutes from Chester. I'm in Middlefield. 5 minutes from powder ridge or lyman orchards.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote: ...
Don't let the idea that "Sport Pilot and LSA is, for the most part, a rich old man's hobby" deter you, maybe you are old and rich, I dont know. I'm neither and I love sport pilot and LSA. I'm usually one of the younger people at my local aviation gatherings. I know several "younger" LSA owners and pilots. Rich? Not even close. I dig through the couch cushions before I head to the airport so I can buy just a little more fuel for the day. :mrgreen:

Whatever you decide to do I will say you won't be disappointed with a sport pilot rating and a wonderful LSA.

Blue skies Tony and enjoy your adventure.
Well, some good news for you Shawn to go with this upcoming long weekend/holiday .. you do own a damn plane so you are rich after all ... :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: you do own a damn plane so you are rich after all ... :D
When I bought my first plane (a Beechcraft) about 40 years ago, one of my smart-ass relatives said "It must be nice to be rich."

Realizing that an airplane is not an asset, but rather a liability, I replied: "It was."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
Warmi wrote: you do own a damn plane so you are rich after all ... :D
When I bought my first plane (a Beechcraft) about 40 years ago, one of my smart-ass relatives said "It must be nice to be rich."

Realizing that an airplane is not an asset, but rather a liability, I replied: "It was."
Exactly why I'm in no hurry to buy another one.
Retired from flying.
rideandfly

Post by rideandfly »

Atrosa wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Tony and I'm starting my journey in becoming a pilot. My goal is to get into a plane like a czech sport or something and putt around the northeast. I live in CT and have a vacation place in NH. My place in nh is close to twin mountain airport 8B2. I will be asking a bunch of newbie questions so please be patient with me.
Tony, Welcome!

Plenty of knowledgeable folks here that can answer questions. It will be a fun and rewarding journey for you!

Best Regards,
Bill
48 PA-17 Vagabond
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:Well, some good news for you Shawn to go with this upcoming long weekend/holiday .. you do own a damn plane so you are rich after all ... :D
What? I’m rich? Why didn’t you tell me this sooner? You obviously have not seen my bank statements. :mrgreen:

I know people who have bought old and tired aircraft for under $20k that were actually airworthy so you certainly don’t have to be rich to own a plane. :D
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

Hi, I'm Jeremy and also for CT. I took my discovery flight a couple weeks ago in that Kappa based out of Chester (KSNC). but unfortunately they had an accident with another student last weekend and the plane will be out of service for awhile for repairs. As for as I know and researched, that was the only LSA available in CT for lessons and renting.

There is one other, its a Piper Cub J3, but have weight limitations and would require all of the training to conducted from start to finish in the J3. Once complete, they do not allow renting of the J3 to maintain currency.

I'm about 40min from Chester and right down the street from Groton (KGON) and am looking into purchasing if it comes down to it. Might be interested in a partnership in which we both could train out of.

I am 48 and have some issues that would make it very challenging to pursue the third class medical, so I have decided down the Sport Pilot path in order to live my ultimate dream of flying.

Reach out to me if you'd like to meet up sometime.
Jeremy
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

There is no reason you could not begin your training in the J3 and then transition to your own LSA after you purchase it. Or, you could even get all of your training and Sport Pilot certificate in the J3 before you purchase an LSA.

I think it is a good idea to get some training before you dive in and purchase your own airplane. While I think it's relatively rare, there are some people who actually hate flying after they try it. There are also some who are just not cut out to be a pilot for one reason or another.
Retired from flying.
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

TimTaylor, I would agree about continuing on the training with the J3 but we would be overweight with mine and the instructor in the plane. An option would be is dropping 20+ pounds to allow some level of fuel in the plane for training.

I've been "all-in" on the training since January when I was working out of town and then when I returned and finalized my medical status, I really want to get my written exam out of the way and was 1 day away from pulling the trigger on the King ground school course when the incident happened. Now I'm not sure if I should continue and get the ground school out of the way while I continue to search for a plane or school to train out of. I decided to wait on major purchases earlier in the year due to questionable medical issues and glad that I did. Now I'm just missing the plane with regards to my new Sport Pilot path. I'm so confused and down't want to waste my money in the change I take the written and still can't find a plane in which the written would expire and have to be taken all over again.

I know there are a few CFI's that would be more than willing to reach out of a plane that I would own, but not sure I have the finances to make that happen since all the extra things required are really expensive here in CT. as an example, hanger rental at Groton (KGON) is running around $550 a month. Plus, throw on insurance, maintenance, and fuel costs.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think the written is good for two years. If you want to learn to fly, I would go ahead and start reading and learning the material. You don't necessarily need to purchase an expensive training course. Some are little more than the test questions that people memorize the answers but not how the answers are actually derived.

About six years ago, after a serious health issue, I decided not to go for another FAA medical. I lost 33 pounds in two months to check out in a Cessna SkyCatcher. If you really want to fly, you can do what is necessary to make it happen.

I recommend you start studying for the written and start losing some weight. In the mean time, continue your search for a flight school where you can train for Sport Pilot. If you can't find something within reasonable driving distance, there are places you can go to get licensed in a matter of weeks.
Retired from flying.
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

TinTaylor, Thanks for the reply and I have started studying with a test prep book along with the FAR\AIM. Searching the web for all the practice exams I can take. I'll start getting on some type of lifestyle change to cut some weight to allow me to qualify for the J3 if I can get down a bit.

Thanks for the replies and apologize for highjacking this thread.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

TimTaylor wrote:I think it is a good idea to get some training before you dive in and purchase your own airplane. While I think it's relatively rare, there are some people who actually hate flying after they try it. There are also some who are just not cut out to be a pilot for one reason or another.
Concur.
Good advice before making a purchase.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator