Student Sport Pilot in New Mexico

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

jpleonard2000

Student Sport Pilot in New Mexico

Postby jpleonard2000 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is John. I'm a student sport pilot living in Albuquerque, NM. I've been doing my flight training in a Remos GX at Santa Fe Municipal airport and plan to take my practical exam in the next week or two. I got interested in aviation while working on my PhD in Wildlife Sciences. I was conducting a wildlife telemetry study and we often had to fly in a Cessna 172, with yagi antennas attached to the wing struts, to locate missing collars. I used the opportunity to learn some basic flight maneuvers and quickly got hooked.

I would really like to meet any other pilots in New Mexico. Like I said, I should have my sport pilot certificate in a few weeks.

Cheers,

John Leonard

Scooper

Re: Student Sport Pilot in New Mexico

Postby Scooper » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Welcome to Sport Pilot Talk, John. My sister and her family live in Albuquerque and I usually fly into Double Eagle II (AEG) once a year to visit since they live on the west side. It's kinda cool that you got interested in flying by tracking wildlife telemetry transmitters in a 172.

Keep everybody posted on your SP training progress at SAF.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KOAK)

ShawnM

Postby ShawnM » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 am

Hi John and welcome to the forum. As Stan stated that is very cool how you caught the aviation bug. Good luck on your exam and enjoy the journey. :mrgreen:

rideandfly

Postby rideandfly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm

John

Welcome, I'm new here too! Have good memories of my first practical exam 40 years ago and confident it will be a pleasant experience for you, too. Please let us know when you get your Sport Pilot certificate!

Regards,
Bill
48 PA-17 Vagabond

drseti

Postby drseti » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:29 pm

John, as you get close to your practical test, you'll likely have questions on what to expect and how to prepare. I invite you to browse my SP DPE website, at:

http://SportPilotExaminer.US

to get an overview of the process. I'd say prepare, but don't over-prepare. Go into the practical rested and relaxed, and you'll do fine. Oh - and don't forget to have fun!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

RTK

Postby RTK » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Welcome John! I trained in a Remos GX as well! I thought it was a good plane for training with benign characteristics. Looking forward to reading about your progress! Good luck with the exam!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”