Looking for next plane - is a C162 a good option

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Looking for next plane - is a C162 a good option

Post by TimTaylor »

RBearden56 wrote:Fo $50,000 you can do a lot better than the 162. The E-LSA are better equipped and more affordable. If you have good mechanical skills and willing to learn then LSRM and LSRI certs will save you a tone of money over the life of you aircraft present and future. I have seen a Lighting LS1 for $50,000 on Trade a Plane and it is beautiful. Better airframe, interior, and engine than any Cessna 162. Or look at Rotax powered aircraft, lighter than the continentals and dependable with a huge owner base and support.
I bought my Allegro 2000 E-LSA with very good avionics and low hours and the lower cost of ownership made this a bargain.
Good luck on you search and let us know what you get.
Randy Bearden
This is all a matter of opinion, much of which I don't agree with. For instance, how is an E-LSA better equipped than an S-LSA? It's only better equipped if someone chose to add more equipment. As far as I am concerned, most S-LSA are over-equipped for VFR daytime only flight.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:
RBearden56 wrote:Fo $50,000 you can do a lot better than the 162. The E-LSA are better equipped and more affordable. If you have good mechanical skills and willing to learn then LSRM and LSRI certs will save you a tone of money over the life of you aircraft present and future. I have seen a Lighting LS1 for $50,000 on Trade a Plane and it is beautiful. Better airframe, interior, and engine than any Cessna 162. Or look at Rotax powered aircraft, lighter than the continentals and dependable with a huge owner base and support.
I bought my Allegro 2000 E-LSA with very good avionics and low hours and the lower cost of ownership made this a bargain.
Good luck on you search and let us know what you get.
Randy Bearden
This is all a matter of opinion, much of which I don't agree with. For instance, how is an E-LSA better equipped than an S-LSA? It's only better equipped if someone chose to add more equipment. As far as I am concerned, most S-LSA are over-equipped for VFR daytime only flight.
The problem is that with some manufacturers , it is impossible to get LOAs for anything that is not installed on factory planes ( I.e Sportcruisers) - in that case it makes a lot of difference since going ELSA is the only way to install other equipment.
If the manufacturer ( like for instance TL Ultralight ) issues a more less blanket LOAs for just about every piece of avionics out there, then as Tim pointed out, it doesn’t matter as it becomes just a matter of choice ( and money )

Now with ELSAs you can also save a lot of money if you decided to add avionics yourself later on and you have prerequisite training as you can do that youserlf - with LSAs your only option is to either pay someone or take 2 weeks long , $4000 class ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I would be happy with an LSA equipped with needle, ball, and airspeed, engine instruments, comm radio, and transponder with ADS-B out. More than that is a waste of money and extra weight, IMHO. And I definitely would not want leather interior and other creature comforts in an LSA. But my main point is this is all opinion. To state emphatically that you can do better than a C162 for $50,000 is someone's opinion. Personally, I would prefer a C162 or RV12 to any plastic airplane. But, that's my opinion. That doesn't mean they are any better or worse.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:I would be happy with an LSA equipped with needle, ball, and airspeed, engine instruments, comm radio, and transponder with ADS-B out. More than that is a waste of money and extra weight, IMHO.
As an aside, that’s how I thought I wanted my Sky Arrow equipped. Turns out the Dynon D10A that came with the package was cheaper than going with steam gauges, and almost certain lighter as well.

But I also perceive many Light Sports as “glided lilies”. THREE screens? REALLY? But who am I to judge, and the market seems to favor lots of glass.

As a further aside, I use my steam airspeed and altimeter and physical inclinometer ball almost exclusively over the Dynon PFD. Basically, the Dynon is handy for computing TAS ad DA once I feed in the OAT, and is there in an emergency as an attitude indicator to help keep the dirty side down. But with conservative planning, I have not even come close to blundering into IMC in about 11 years and 530 hours.

This panel can easily take me anywhere I want to go!

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

FastEddieB wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I would be happy with an LSA equipped with needle, ball, and airspeed, engine instruments, comm radio, and transponder with ADS-B out. More than that is a waste of money and extra weight, IMHO.
As an aside, that’s how I thought I wanted my Sky Arrow equipped. Turns out the Dynon D10A that came with the package was cheaper than going with steam gauges, and almost certain lighter as well.

But I also perceive many Light Sports as “glided lilies”. THREE screens? REALLY? But who am I to judge, and the market seems to favor lots of glass.

As a further aside, I use my steam airspeed and altimeter and physical inclinometer ball almost exclusively over the Dynon PFD. Basically, the Dynon is handy for computing TAS ad DA once I feed in the OAT, and is there in an emergency as an attitude indicator to help keep the dirty side down. But with conservative planning, I have not even come close to blundering into IMC in about 11 years and 530 hours.

This panel can easily take me anywhere I want to go!

Eddie, your panel is not much more that what I would want. My iPad Mini 4 running iFly GPS, now with AHRS, gives me most, but not all, that you get with the Dynon and Garmin. If I owned my own airplane, I would probably figure out a way to mount my Surface Pro 4 as the display.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I just made tomorrow's flight using my Surface Pro 4 in tablet mode and iFly GPS simulation. The Surface Pro 4 would be a very viable display if it was mounted and plugged into a 12 volt source.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b61mevbldo3nc ... 9.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqlhpp0490ox0 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Will someone please remind me how to post images? I don't know why I have such a difficult time doing that.
Retired from flying.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Pretty easy here, some require a blood sacrifice.

First is to click on Attachments if you want to use pictures from your own PC followed by Add files:
example 1.jpg
example 1.jpg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
example 2.jpg
example 2.jpg (135.7 KiB) Viewed 9931 times
Then Place inline at your cursor position:
example 3.jpg
example 3.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
It only lets you do 3 pics so plan ahead... I'll post some examples later of how to post from online.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Thanks.
Screenshot (15).jpg
Screenshot (16).jpg
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Great pics Tim, looks as good as any modern glass cockpit for thousands less. :mrgreen:

If only there was a way to extract serial data from those devices to drive an autopilot then you'd be on to something. 8)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:Great pics Tim, looks as good as any modern glass cockpit for thousands less. :mrgreen:

If only there was a way to extract serial data from those devices to drive an autopilot then you'd be on to something. 8)
What’s even more ironic is that your average iPad is much more powerful ( as far as GPU/CPU is concerned) than anything you will find in the latest Dynons or Garmin.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

A bit off topic, but new iPads expected to be announced at tomorrow’s Apple event (1PM EDT)
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

ShawnM wrote:Great pics Tim, looks as good as any modern glass cockpit for thousands less. :mrgreen:

Autopilot? What's that? The iFly 740 can drive an autopilot. I'm not sure about the other iFly devices.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FastEddieB wrote:A bit off topic, but new iPads expected to be announced at tomorrow’s Apple event (1PM EDT)
Great, I could use a pop in Apple's stock. Then I could buy one of those new iPads. :mrgreen:
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

TimTaylor wrote:

Autopilot? What's that? The iFly 740 can drive an autopilot. I'm not sure about the other iFly devices.
It's that button on my panel that I press and the plane flies itself to my destination, it's better than sliced bread. :mrgreen: It got me to and from Sebring this morning for my annual supplies. (ie, oil, filter and plugs)

I'm sure the iFly can but I'm talking about a surface tablet or iPad driving an autopilot. There are already engine monitoring systems based on the Arduino/Atmel board that can bluetooth engine data to any tablet. This is your EMS. Couple this with Foreflight and its AHRS display with the moving map on a tablet and you have a full fledged glass cockpit for under $1000 for an experimental aircraft.

I know many old timers who simply want steam gauges and a yoke...........yawn. :mrgreen: