Himax 1400z

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Re: Himax 1400z

Postby HAPPYDAN » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 am

Firsttimefly9999 wrote:My intended goal is to build fly sell intill I can afford a nice plane.im not rich but I’m hoping I can pull it off with hard work and determination.

I haven't spent much time in Montana, but I have visited there many times. It seems to me to be a lot like Oregon. Beautiful, wild - an adventurers paradise. Having flown around Oregon, and visited many airfields, I have observed one constant. There seems to be many forgotten, possibly abandoned, small airplanes at all the little out-of-the-way airfields. Some are trash, some need TLC to get back in the air. Perhaps you could look around and pick up one of those in Montana. Planes on the order of Cubs and Champs seem to abound, and some can be had for just a few thousand bucks. Take a look at Trade-A-Plane, Barnstormers, or Controller. There are many airworthy examples, and asking prices run the gamut. Aviation is expensive, but many others on a tight budget have found a way. Good Luck!

Jim Hardin

Postby Jim Hardin » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 am

That could turn out to be a far bigger project than a purchaser may realize.

A neglected aircraft could need a ‘Top’ overhaul for the engine. If fabric it will likely need recovered. If metal there is likely places where corrosion has won and need to be replaced... Could have expensive ADs that need to be applied.

The price you can afford may not be th price you expected. Obviously a close inspection by an A&P who is familiar with that aircraft is in order.

ShawnM

Postby ShawnM » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:25 am

Jim Hardin wrote:That could turn out to be a far bigger project than a purchaser may realize.

A neglected aircraft could need a ‘Top’ overhaul for the engine. If fabric it will likely need recovered. If metal there is likely places where corrosion has won and need to be replaced... Could have expensive ADs that need to be applied.

The price you can afford may not be th price you expected. Obviously a close inspection by an A&P who is familiar with that aircraft is in order.

All very true, there can be many gremlins lurking that are not seen until it's too late. What seemed "affordable" at first can become a money pit quickly, especially in aviation. A VERY thorough pre buy would be in order.

drseti

Postby drseti » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 am

Prebuy examinations are discussed extensively in my EAA Webinar "How to Buy a Used LSA," viewable online at:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/4206496475001
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Return to “Experimenter's Corner”