Your Callsign--How do you announce yourself?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Your Callsign--How do you announce yourself?

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:more likely, just '95L' on further communications.
Just remember that when talking to ATC, the FARs permit you to abbreviate your call sign only if they initiate if. If the controller responds with your full callsign, you have to use that in all subsequent communications (until he or she gets lazy).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cogito

Post by cogito »

I did 2 holds, 2 ILS, and 2 LPV approaches today at two different airports and used “Light Sport NXXX.” Approach and tower controllers seemed fine.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Just out of curiosity, in what IFR approved LSA?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cogito

Post by cogito »

drseti wrote:
dstclair wrote:more likely, just '95L' on further communications.
Just remember that when talking to ATC, the FARs permit you to abbreviate your call sign only if they initiate if. If the controller responds with your full callsign, you have to use that in all subsequent communications (until he or she gets lazy).
Was reading, “Radio Mastery for IFR Pilots” this weekend. The author concurs with you but also wrote that ATC training manuals stipulate ATC can only abbreviate a call sign when a pilot abbreviates his call sign first.
cogito

Post by cogito »

drseti wrote:Just out of curiosity, in what IFR approved LSA?
Sorry Paul, you got me. I meant to write, “I flew four practice approaches...”
drseti

Post by drseti »

cogito wrote:The author concurs with you but also wrote that ATC training manuals stipulate ATC can only abbreviate a call sign when a pilot abbreviates his call sign first.
Dang - the AIM says just the opposite! Clearly, this is a clever gambit to ensure that everyone will use full callsigns, thus cluttering up the frequencies.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Only heard two aircraft told by ATC not to abbreviate. It was a long time ago during a busy night around Cincinnati and they were same make and numbers were too close and already causing confusion...

I make contact with full call sign then make and last 3 from there on. If they don't like it, they will say so.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

I took notice on my flight back to NY from LA a few weeks ago, that controllers used, for the most part, my full call sign “NOVEMBER” XXXXX. A few that did, did so even after I abbreviated my call sign. By the middle of the flight they had me doing it. LOL.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BTW, when calling up flight following, I usually say something like:

"Experimental 509CT is type FDCT" because I know if I just say experimental they will ask my my designator. They did the same thing when my airplane was SLSA and I used to call myself "Flight Design 509CT".
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Funny one, ATC was in disbelief and kept ask for clarification when the owner/pilot called as “Sting N5NE”.

They just couldn’t believe that an aircraft with that number didn’t burn kerosene :)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Does anyone know the correct designation for a Remos GX? Nothing I try does ATC recognize.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

TimTaylor wrote:Does anyone know the correct designation for a Remos GX? Nothing I try does ATC recognize.
According to the FAA Order JO 7360.1 dated September 2015 it's GX. The only other Remos designator is G3.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

ShawnM wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:Does anyone know the correct designation for a Remos GX? Nothing I try does ATC recognize.
According to the FAA Order JO 7360.1 dated September 2015 it's GX. The only other Remos designator is G3.
Thanks. I don't remember if I tried that or not. I know they didn't like RGX. I'll try GX next time.
Retired from flying.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

FWIW. On arriving in Little Rock, AR:

ME: Little Rock Approach, Light Sport Sting 595L at...…..
LR Approach: Sting 95L, radar contact...….
dave
JJay

Post by JJay »

dstclair wrote:FWIW. On arriving in Little Rock, AR:

ME: Little Rock Approach, Light Sport Sting 595L at...…..
LR Approach: Sting 95L, radar contact...….
Well, I'm not surprised. A lot of Stings fly in and out of Little Rock. But that would be about the only place I'd announce as "Sting". I wouldn't assume any controller knows all the different names of LSA's. I think they see them all pretty much similar in speed to the smaller Cessnas and Pipers.

When I flew a Cherokee 140, I'd just announce as "Cherokee 1234J". No controller ever asked me which model of Cherokee. I think they see them as all the same.