Non light sport aircraft.

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

[email protected]

Non light sport aircraft.

Post by [email protected] »

Can I do sport pilot training in other than a light sport aircraft, like a Cessna 150?

Thanks, Dalton
joey4420

Re: Non light sport aircraft.

Post by joey4420 »

Yes and no, you can do training in basically any aircraft you want to spend the money training in, but without a 3rd class medical you can only solo in an aircraft that meets the LSA requirements, and you can only take your exam with the DPE in an aircraft that meets the LSA requirements.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
drseti

Post by drseti »

In addition, I believe both your solo XC hours and the 2 hours of practical test prep within the prior 2 calendar months must be in the make and model of LSA in which you will be examined.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
[email protected]

Ok, thank you
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

And, if you have the medical required to solo the C150, why not go ahead and get a Private certificate instead of Light Sport?
Retired from flying.
[email protected]

I am working on getting my private pilot but toying with sport pilot ideas.

Dalton
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

[email protected] wrote:I am working on getting my private pilot but toying with sport pilot ideas.

Dalton
Of course, if you get your Private, you can fly both.
Retired from flying.
CoalDust

Post by CoalDust »

Tim Taylor is exactly right. Here is what it came down to for me. In February of this year I had passed my Sport Pilot written test and felt ready to start training to obtain my Light Sport ticket. Then came the reality check - NO light sport flight training within 2.5 hours of my home and the fee schedule for plane and instructor there was $125/hr for an AeroTrek A240. Ok, that was disheartening to say the least, so I started considering going for my PPL instead, but being 63 years old, I did have some reservations about obtaining a Class III medical. Long story short, I was able to pass my flight physical and find an instructor within 20 minutes of my home that trained in a C150 at the unreal rate of $65/hour for the airplane and $15/hour for the instructor. I had to take the PPL knowledge test so I wasted $165 on the Light Sport Pilot test but I more than recouped that on mileage and instructor/aircraft cost. Now 5 months later I am ready to take my oral and practical test and then will be allowed to fly either. As my instructor said, even though the 20 hour versus 40 hour minimums are stated, they are not realistic.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Congrats on your Class III!

With that in hand, you will never have to go through that uncertainty again if BasicMed suits your needs going forward.

Again, congratulations on your progress to date, and good luck with your Practical Test!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

And, after flying for a while, you may decide to improve your skills and start working on an instrument rating.
Retired from flying.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I too started as a sport pilot, took the written and after a 1+ month delay thanks to instructor, weather and aircraft issues, decided to take a "chance" and get a Class III and go private. I passed my medical, then completed the night, additional instrument (not the rating), and additional solo requirements. After the written test and practical test I can fly 3 available aircraft for rent at the FBO rather than 1 light sport and all I need would be a high performance/complex endorsement for another.

Here is a kicker though: I'm young (38) and my job and family keep me busy, add in weather and FBO/Airport Issues (Airport was closed for 2 weeks for construction, with another 2 weeks upcoming and I've logged only 20 hours this year so far and 75% of those are solo. A good portion of this was in 30 minute quick lunch flights making sure I at least can fly a pattern and take-off/land, I logged 1 hour of crosswind refresher with a CFI so I did not get "rusty" in 15 kt crosswinds, those seldom occur around here, but they could and I'd rather be ready than unprepared. I have not flown at night in 8 months and when the time changes I'll probably book a CFI for my first night flights just for safety at first. All that to say this: My "mission" right now is almost the definition of a sport pilot. I'm not knocking the PPL route that so many of us took, I like the 172, stable platform easy to fly, but I also look at my current "mission" and a 150/152, Cherokee, or Beechcraft Musketeer Sport or any 2 seat light sport would fulfill it. I'm considering an instrument rating if nothing else than to keep my flying sharp and gain experience and confidence. They say a pilot is a license to learn, I think that's right on the money.
Ed
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Of course, until/unless something changes a Cessna 150/152, Piper Cherokee, and Beech Musketeer all required a Private certificate or higher.
Retired from flying.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Quite true Tim, I think I included all light sport aircraft as well in my explanation. It was merely a a reference to not needing the weight or seats for more than just myself or one other at the moment.
Ed
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

foresterpoole wrote:Quite true Tim, I think I included all light sport aircraft as well in my explanation. It was merely a a reference to not needing the weight or seats for more than just myself or one other at the moment.
I assumed you knew that, but you said your mission met the definition of Sport Pilot and then listed these non-LSA aircraft.
Retired from flying.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

TimTaylor wrote:
foresterpoole wrote:Quite true Tim, I think I included all light sport aircraft as well in my explanation. It was merely a a reference to not needing the weight or seats for more than just myself or one other at the moment.
I assumed you knew that, but you said your mission met the definition of Sport Pilot and then listed these non-LSA aircraft.
Now I understand where you were going with the comment. I'll add in the Technam P92 I rent, the Arion Lightning I like, and the Sportcruiser I could never afford, lol....
Ed