Sling 2 build / Midwest Sky Sports

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Sling 2 build / Midwest Sky Sports

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote: Since I showed you mine you have to show me yours.
Well, OK, Shawn, since you insist...
N905SM_panel.jpg
N905SM_panel.jpg (12.21 KiB) Viewed 62068 times
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Thanks for sharing. There are actually a few early SportCruisers with your same EFIS.

To answer some of your questions, yes I can push frequencies from my 660 to my radio. My radio is the GTR-200, not the 225. The 225 is the TSO’d version. The fact that the radio is linked to the GPS also allows the radio to show me the 10 closest airports and frequencies if I’m ever in a unfamiliar area. Kind of like a “nearest” feature. A nice feature also. And yes, the D-120 offers engine data logging and retrieval via the Dynon Support Program. You can also stream real time engine data to an external serial device for recording if you want.

In your situation I’d prefer the ability to push frequencies to the SL-30 rather than sending the GPS data to my ELT. You would use this feature more, yes? Since you obviously have a 406 ELT that alone is far better in location accuracy even without GPS coordinates than the old 121 ELT’s. I’d pass on sending it GPS data and rather have the ability to input frequencies into my radio. A feature I use every time I fly. Just my opinion.

To help put you mind at ease about not sending gps data to the ELT, the new 406 versions alone without GPS input are using doppler shift technology and the satellites will usually determine your position within 2 nautical miles on the first pass and improve upon that with each subsequent pass of the satellite. Not to mention you just added ADS-B out so ATC will know where you are also. Your 406 unit also sends a lot of data about you and your plane to the satellites that also help in locating you.

My point being sending GPS data to a 406 ELT is optional and something I personally would sacrifice in order to send frequencies to my radio. I feel the 406 ELT is far superior in location information than the old 121 units and feel comfortable in knowing they’ll find me quickly. Not everyone may feel this way.

We can talk ELT in another post as to not hijack this one.

Thanks for sharing your panel with me.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:
ShawnM wrote: Since I showed you mine you have to show me yours.
Well, OK, Shawn, since you insist...

N905SM_panel.jpg
Thanks for sharing Paul, I see you have the fancy new Skyview goodies.
drseti

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote:Thanks for sharing Paul, I see you have the fancy new Skyview goodies.
Yep. Including their 2-axis autopilot, blind Mode S- ES transponder. and dual-band wx and traffic rcvr for a complete installed ADS-B in/out 2020 solution. Not the cheapest way to go, but nice high level of integration.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Oh, alright...

Kind of basic, but the little 496 all by its lonesome is SO much more than what served us greybeards for many decades, that I feel blessed to have it. And combined with an iPad or iPhone is more than enough to navigate to virtually anywhere in the US.

Anyway, gets the job done!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well Eddie you got pretty much everything there , an EFIS , a gps ... just in a smaller package .. :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi, did you really just say that Eddie has a smaller package?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Actually, you said it , I was just talking about avionics ... :D
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

At least my hands are normally sized!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, The new Rv 12is panel design looks to be much improved ... the old ones were, shall we say , rather spartan ... very much experimental-looking...
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Oh, alright...
IMG_4346.jpeg
IMG_4346.jpeg (86.77 KiB) Viewed 61926 times
OK, it is not technically my panel. It is Herb Kelleher's panel. (I love that man.)

What is amazing to me...is, I learned to fly, in the 1980's, Cessna 152's, 172's, 150's...I love those airplanes. However, I recall being lost one night over south central Kansas/North Oklahoma...etc... That is virtually impossible today...GPS/iPads/iPhones/Garmin xxx? etc...

What is more amazing to me...is, for what I consider "reasonable" prices...I can get the same technology I have in the 737-800 I flew tonight...actually a bit better...ie: Garmin G3X Touch has synthetic vision...I do not have that in SWA 737...my Sling will do better RNAV approaches than the 737...our 737s have no WAAS capability yet...the Sling does...LPV approaches to 200'!...our 737 RNAV(GPS) approach mins are usually a couple hundred feet higher than LPV mins...oh, if I go missed approach in the Sling by hitting the TOGA button, the Garmin auto-pilot will fly the missed approach and holding pattern while I monitor...SWA 737 auto-pilot kicks off if we hit TOGA, so we hand fly the missed/go-around...(SWA is really 'cheap')...also, the Sling will make traffic callouts...ADS-B In/Out will supply traffic and weather at no charge...in seconds I can plan my flight in ForeFlight, transmit it wirelessly to the Sling which loads it into the GTN (or G3X Touch if no GTN), and off I go...

So.......I really like the Sling and the Sling panel....courtesy of Midwest Sky Sports...(they are the best).
McKercher.jpeg
McKercher.jpeg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 61926 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Ok, back to our regular scheduled programming.

I am back to work on the Sling 2 in Caro, Michigan. Another plug for Midwest Sky Sports...they are really THE BEST. I cannot say enough good about the entire team here. (If you are jumping in late...I am doing a 51% EAB Sling 2, at Midwest Sky Sports...allows me to fly 1540 gross weight (legally), equip and fly IFR, etc...)

Wings are now attached, winglets installed, flaps and ailerons complete, panel waiting on Garmin glass, center console looking good, Rotax 912 ULS should arrive in a couple of days. We are hoping to fly by the end of September. Maybe even fly it home to Florida by end of September. This is so much fun.
IMG_4571.jpeg
IMG_4571.jpeg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 61720 times
IMG_4572.jpeg
IMG_4572.jpeg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 61720 times
IMG_4590.jpeg
IMG_4590.jpeg (79.39 KiB) Viewed 61720 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
cam737

Post by cam737 »

more pics...
IMG_4600.jpeg
IMG_4600.jpeg (100.92 KiB) Viewed 61721 times
IMG_4603.jpeg
IMG_4603.jpeg (149.7 KiB) Viewed 61721 times
IMG_4604.jpeg
IMG_4604.jpeg (147.23 KiB) Viewed 61721 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Another great day of riveting...LOTS of rivets! Lots of work on the luggage compartment and flight controls today.
My reward for 10 hours of riveting was a spin around the patch in the MSS Sling 2 with one of the MSS pilots!! IT IS A BLAST. The visibility is awesome. The situational awareness from G3X Touch is unbelievable. The auto-pilot is great. But, the best part is the way the Sling 2 feels when hand-flying...it's perfect. Period. We had a nice rainbow too!
IMG_4629.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 61640 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa