All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

mhaleem

All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Post by mhaleem »

I think I've read this correctly from the Federal Register dated June 27, 2018: (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Allows all training received from a sport pilot instructor to be cred- ited towards a higher certificate or rating.

This is good news right!!!???
Tuskegee U Alum
chicagorandy

Re: All training from Sport CFI now counts towards higher ratings

Post by chicagorandy »

If true it would make sense. It's not like SP or PP CFIs are teaching how to fly in different air.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
mhaleem

Post by mhaleem »

Lol. Yeah that definitely true
Tuskegee U Alum
Type47

Post by Type47 »

If true, this will be huge.
I would think that sport cfi’s will be much more likely to stay around as instructors rather than being time builders toward commercial.
Now with the ability to buy used 10 year old LSAs for reasonable prices, maybe there will be increased availability in more markets for instruction.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?
comperini

Post by comperini »

Here's a link: https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... -and-other

I find it interesting (and sad) that so FEW people even bothered to respond to these NPRMs. Our voice can matter.

There was one commenter that was against allowing sport pilot instruction time to count. The commenter was basically bashing the skills and ability of sport pilot instructors. The FAAs response to this commenter was good... basically "you're wrong".
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
comperini

Post by comperini »

Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?
Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

comperini wrote:
Hambone wrote:So... as a CFI-S without a medical, my students can now count their dual time with me toward further ratings?
Reading the timeline, when changes to 61.109 take effect, it would appear that the rule goes into effect August 27, 2018.

I didn't see anything saying "only time logged after that date counts", so I assume all time counts, regardless of when it was logged?
Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:
comperini wrote:

Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...
Enough already of your right wing bs.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

FastEddieB wrote:Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?
You well know that's a right-wing point of view.

"We're going to shrink the federal government until it's so small we can drown it in the bathtub."

This Warmi guy can't make a post without adding such a reference. If he can make the comment, I can respond.
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

TimTaylor wrote:
Warmi wrote:Since this new ruling did not introduce new training requirements, not counting previously logged time would be inconsistent with the ruling itself - not that logic and consistency is something that federal bureaucracies strive for but still ...
Enough already of your right wing bs.
Attachments
E2A7068A-4E66-4C7E-B86C-38B0033CAAF3.gif
E2A7068A-4E66-4C7E-B86C-38B0033CAAF3.gif (240.71 KiB) Viewed 14429 times
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Delete.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:Since when are “federal bureaucracies” inherently left or right wing?
You well know that's a right-wing point of view.

"We're going to shrink the federal government until it's so small we can drown it in the bathtub."

This Warmi guy can't make a post without adding such a reference. If he can make the comment, I can respond.
I think most of the people I know within the FAA are Right Wingers as you call them, but having dealt with them for most of my adult life it certainly is a bureaucracy that lacks common sense at times.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Delete.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired from flying.