AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by FastEddieB »

WDD wrote: Then again, surely something has to govern how far you can take things. I can't imagine you can take an ELSA Vans RV12 and convert it to a bi plane, etc.
There’s nothing to say you couldn’t, as long as it remains within the LSA restrictions as posted by ShawnM.
Last edited by FastEddieB on Tue May 15, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, it was Shawn who posted those restrictions (with which I concur, but let's give credit where it's due).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:Actually, it was Shawn who posted those restrictions (with which I concur, but let's give credit where it's due).
Corrected - thanks.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
smutny

Post by smutny »

WDD wrote:If you take an SLSA to ELSA, can't you then do what you want to it? Put another motor in it, etc.

Why bother taking it to EAB?
One can not move a SLSA or ELSA to E-AB. E-AB is specifically for those that build at least 51% of an aircraft.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

You can move an SLSA issued a special airworthiness certificate under §21.190 to Experimental operating Light-Sport under §21.191(i)(3), but if major alterations such as an engine and/or propeller change are made, I believe Phase 1 testing must be repeated.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Scooper wrote:You can move an SLSA issued a special airworthiness certificate under §21.190 to Experimental operating Light-Sport under §21.191(i)(3), but if major alterations such as an engine and/or propeller change are made, I believe Phase 1 testing must be repeated.
You would be correct Stan, many E-LSA modifications fall under the "minor" modifications category, with no additional Phase I flight testing required. And with "minor" modification the aircraft remains in the E-LSA Phase II Operating Limitations just as it was when originally converted to E-LSA.

Now a "major" modification is a different story, like making a RV-12 a biplane. :mrgreen: Depending on the scope of the modification made to your E-LSA aircraft, if it falls into the "major" modification category then re-entry to Phase I flight testing may be required by the FAA.
WDD

Post by WDD »

So....

1) Build an RV12 Kit. Follow the instructions exactly, Vans will issue you paper work to certify as ELSA. Then you can put in a Viking engine, put on different wings, etc. Keep it within LSA Specs. Will still be an ELSA.

2) Build an RV12 Kit. Put in a Viking engine, put on different wings, etc. Vans will not issue paperwork to certify as ELSA, so you have to register as an EAB. Keep it within LSA Specs. Will never be an ELSA.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Good summary. I would add that in case 1, you (and any subsequent owners) can take a weekend course and receive an LSRI certificate. In case 2, you (as original builder) can get a repairman's certificate upon issue of the airworthiness certificate, but no subsequent owner can ever get one.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RichK

Post by RichK »

TimTaylor wrote:I would be happy with a Rotax engine in the Vashon Ranger. With the Contential, it is on the verge of being too heavy to be practical for most people.
I think a Ranger with a turbo 914 would be a great back-country aircraft, especially here in the West. I suspect Vashon would sell more 914 Rangers at $150K than they'll sell 0-200 Rangers to flight schools. Unless the LSA weight limit is lifted to 700kg, flight schools and CFIs have too much to lose sneaking around the 600kg limit.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Let's not assume anybody is going to sneak around the weight limit. We're all about following and abiding by all the regulations.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

RichK wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I would be happy with a Rotax engine in the Vashon Ranger. With the Contential, it is on the verge of being too heavy to be practical for most people.
I think a Ranger with a turbo 914 would be a great back-country aircraft, especially here in the West. I suspect Vashon would sell more 914 Rangers at $150K than they'll sell 0-200 Rangers to flight schools. Unless the LSA weight limit is lifted to 700kg, flight schools and CFIs have too much to lose sneaking around the 600kg limit.
I would say, ditch both Dynons and put that money towards upgrading to Rotax 915 :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

TimTaylor wrote:Let's not assume anybody is going to sneak around the weight limit. We're all about following and abiding by all the regulations.
Yes, as Tim said, let's not assume this. The rules are in place for a reason regardless of what you think of the FAA and/or the government. If/when they are ever changed is irrelevant, the rules now are 1320 for LSA for land use. Not "50 or 100 pounds over the limit" as Paul Bertorelli would have you believe.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote:I would say, ditch both Dynons and put that money towards upgrading to Rotax 915 :D
As great an engine as the 915 is, it was never intended for the LSA market. It's even heavier that the Continental O200D. :-(
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote:
Warmi wrote:I would say, ditch both Dynons and put that money towards upgrading to Rotax 915 :D
As great an engine as the 915 is, it was never intended for the LSA market. It's even heavier that the Continental O200D. :-(
Not much though ... if they ever increased gross to 1500 lbs and allowed a simple , switch based , constant prop implementation in LSAs we would have a winner here with 915 - especially for STOL style , I want to climb out like crazy, applications ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

WDD wrote:So....

1) Build an RV12 Kit. Follow the instructions exactly, Vans will issue you paper work to certify as ELSA. Then you can put in a Viking engine, put on different wings, etc. Keep it within LSA Specs. Will still be an ELSA.

2) Build an RV12 Kit. Put in a Viking engine, put on different wings, etc. Vans will not issue paperwork to certify as ELSA, so you have to register as an EAB. Keep it within LSA Specs. Will never be an ELSA.
Anything registered as E-AB is not a "light sport" aircraft and does not need to meet the definition of a light sport aircraft. You could put ANY engine into a E-AB RV-12.