Sport Hornet - N25DV

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

David

Sport Hornet - N25DV

Post by David »

It has been a while since I posted here. Many may remember that I own the Sport Hornet that Dan Johnson flew at Oshkosh and was on the cover of the EAA sport pilot magazine, Oct 2007.

A few things have changed over the last year. I have relocated from Arkansas to Pennsylvania (little colder in the winters). But more exciting is my new Sport Hornet I purchased. Don’t get me wrong I loved my old N25DV, but at 6’4 and I had adequate room, but when Robert Gaither at Higher Class Aviation announced the new stretch and wider model, I ordered one on the spot. During Fun-n-Sun 08 I sat in the new stretch version and was amazed. I had to pull the seat up and could still go forward more if I wanted my knees bent more. The shoulder width was incredible, keep in mind this is a tandem plane and I have unbelievable room from door to door.

I did make sure it would be an identical version regarding color and custom graphics though I did add some new toys.

New:
Garmin Stack
Trio Avionics Ez auto pilot
3 Grand Rapids Horizon HX (2 in the front and one in the back)
Zion PCAS
Internal heater (remember I am not in the south anymore)
Extended wings
Larger fuel tanks
S-LSA instead of a E-LSA

Still have;
Rotax 100 with the external alternator
BRS

I take deliver in 30 days of the new N25DV – I am like a kid waiting for Christmas! :D

My old plane is on their web site; it is the white one with red and blue graphics www.sporthornet.com
Last edited by David on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

come and see us. 76N near Wilkes-barre PA

I'd like to see the new airplane when you get it.

I've got a spare car if you want to tour the local area.
wildbil7

Post by wildbil7 »

Hi Dave;

I am based at 46NJ. a few of the club members flew out your way 2 weeks ago to Butter valley airport in Bally, PA for breakfast. there were 7 of us. we flew in as a group and had a blast. what airport are you based at?
David

Post by David »

You were just north of where I am @ Pottstown-Limerick Airport - PTW.
wildbil7

Post by wildbil7 »

Hi Dave

looks like less then 20 miles north of pottstown. looks like about a 20 minute trip for you. Have you ever been to Butter vally? It is located on a golf course with a restaurant on the field with reasonable prices. If you have to fuel up they have fuel there also. you have to go into the pro shop to get a fuel sheet and the key to the fuel tank. you do your own fueling. no gas attendant. you fill out the gas sheet and go back to the pro shop and pay. very nice people there.

We were going to fly over to vansant 9N1 to watch and BS with the Glider Folks there. but most of us old farts were tired and decided to head home.

Our club www.jerseyshoreultralights.com have members at both pearl acres 46NJ and Pemberton 3NJ1 both are turf runways. Pemberton used to be public and is now listed as private but anyone can land there without prior permission, the same thing goes with Pearl Acres. Pearl acres is located on a Farm right next to great Adventure.

Dave if you ever feel like taking a short cross country to pearl acres some weekend let me know via my email. [email protected] and i will make it a point to be there. according to airnav we are only 57 miles from each other.
David

Post by David »

I thought I would update you all on my new bird. I just got back from Higherclass Aviation in California. I was very happy with the work they did replicating my first hornet with the new model down to the graphics, color, and same N number. From the first glance you couldn’t tell it was any different, but it is! Size (length and width), longer wings, better performance and the avionics in the cockpit, it is unbelievable. It is finally heading home in PA, fortunately the guys worked with me and my time schedule due to my busy work schedule; they delay my delivery for 45 – 50 days. It looks like the job won't get in the way and I can start having fun!

Image Image

Wildbil7 and Club flyer hope to see you guys soon!
Last edited by David on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Looks good. What is the large flat area center top of the panel. Storage box? Looks like a jet fighter stick.
David

Post by David »

Club flyer - yes very close to a fighter stick - with mutlple functions on it - full trim, flap, intercom, radio, toggle radio

The large flat area center top of the panel is the garmin 496. I didn't take the protection cover off before I took the picture.

Take care
wildbil7

Post by wildbil7 »

nice looking machine dave. good luck with her.
David

Post by David »

Christmas finally came and I got to fly my new bird. It has been a long wait due to work and travel. Also the guys at Higher Class relocated their factory. They offered to deliver it sooner, but due to work I said I’d wait till you guys were set up in the new plant. A few photos from today of the new N25dv.

Image Image

Image Image

Now I can finish my Sport Pilot License. I just need a few more hours in the new plane.

Special thanks to Matt Gregory, GM for all of the time putting in my accessories for my toy.
Last edited by David on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

video link

Post by David »

I found this on the web. The guys at Higherclass posted this AOL video of my plane before it was delivered.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/sport ... IDURVAUT09
TBIRD30

Super Hornet 59HA

Post by TBIRD30 »

:evil: Hi David I am glad you receive your Hornet. I bought one about the same time you did. Mine is a 2007 model Super Hornet with a Rotax 912ULS 100 HP engine. It has around 190 HRS on it. I bought it from Allen Starr in Erie PA. and had it flown here to Guymon OK. (KGUY).
The plane is due an annual now. I am going to let Higher Class Avaition go over it and check it out. I sure hope to fly it more when the weather gets better.[/img]
I have just bought a super Hornet. I flew my Tripacer to Erie PA to trade. I got sick and flew home Airlines. I had the hornet flown to GUY OK by a ferry pilot. At first it was kinda trickey landing but I am getting where I can land it.
David

Higher class

Post by David »

TBIRD30

Are you flying to the factory or is someone coming to you?

Regarding your landings what speed and flaps settings?
rjgfly

have fun flying

Post by rjgfly »

Hope you get some good flying weather this weekend :shock:
David

got to fly today

Post by David »

RIGFLY - actually got to fly today, took a little time off this afternoon and got some long needed air time.

Flew to Butter Valley Golf Port (7N8) Bally, PA north of Pottstown, PA The RWY 16/34 1535 X 24 ASPH ; REMAINDER TURF.

Great day but a little windy 8 - 11 kt crosswinds and winds aloft @ 3000 were 30 kts, but sunny and much better than a foot of snow this last Monday, Just starting to get nice again can't wait for more nice weather.

The following pictures were from my blackberry phone. This picture is the hornet outside of the restaurant /club house for the golf club. It turned out to be a warm 55 degrees and most of the snow has melted.

Picture of the small asphalt/turf runway.

Last edited by David on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.