ADSB-B in and out

Constructive topics of interest related to aviation that do not match the other section descriptions below (as long as it is somewhat related to aviation, flying, learning to fly, sport pilot, light sport aircraft, etc.). Please, advertisements for Viagra will be promptly deleted!"

Moderator: drseti

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 pm

dstclair wrote:Care to share the discount you were given on the 345 and is it available to others?


Garmin is currently having a promotion for the 345 and the 660 for $6195 that ends June 29th. This is only a savings of about $350.

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2017/05/gtx-345-packages-save-hundreds.html

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby MrMorden » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 am

ShawnM wrote:
dstclair wrote:Care to share the discount you were given on the 345 and is it available to others?


Garmin is currently having a promotion for the 345 and the 660 for $6195 that ends June 29th. This is only a savings of about $350.

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2017/05/gtx-345-packages-save-hundreds.html


I really like that equipment, but damn it's pricey as a percentage of the value of an LSA. I decided to skip the "Gamin Tax" and go for the uAvionix EchoUAT+SkyFyx and an iFly 740b for under $2k total with approximately the same functionality. The saved $4200 will buy a lot of flight time...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 am

MrMorden wrote:
ShawnM wrote:
dstclair wrote:Care to share the discount you were given on the 345 and is it available to others?


Garmin is currently having a promotion for the 345 and the 660 for $6195 that ends June 29th. This is only a savings of about $350.

http://garmin.blogs.com/promotions/2017/05/gtx-345-packages-save-hundreds.html


I really like that equipment, but damn it's pricey as a percentage of the value of an LSA. I decided to skip the "Gamin Tax" and go for the uAvionix EchoUAT+SkyFyx and an iFly 740b for under $2k total with approximately the same functionality. The saved $4200 will buy a lot of flight time...


I agree with you Andy. Some of this fancy Garmin stuff is not cheap in relationship to the cost of the aircraft. I wasn't all that thrilled to have to spend $1900 but it's done and over with and I am thrilled that I do have ALL Garmin stuff. :mrgreen:

And yes that extra $4000 will but A LOT of fuel and it allowed me to upgrade my "old school" strobes with some new Aveo Engineering 3-in-1 LED lights. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Scooper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 pm

I ordered my GDL82 from Aircraft Spruce today.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KOAK)

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Scooper wrote:I ordered my GDL82 from Aircraft Spruce today.


That's great Stan, you're gonna love it. It is an awesome addition to my plane and now with IN and OUT I have a complete picture of the traffic around me.

Make sure you order RG-400 cable for the GPS antenna, minimum 6.5 feet and 2 BNC connectors and 2 TNC connectors. Everything else you need is in the box.

Please update us when you can after you get it installed.

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby MrMorden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:23 am

Scooper wrote:
restlinbaum wrote:I will look into all the suggestions, I am also looking at a 796 Garmin with a GTX 345 pricey though.

Many LSAs have pretty limited panel space. My Zodiac came with a GPSmap 396, and the Aera 660 fits in the same panel space as the 396, but because it has a touch screen and uses soft keys instead of hard keys, the display is much larger than the 396 display. For my panel, the 796 is just too big and the 660 is perfect.

Image


That's a nice steam gauge panel, Stan. Very functional and it has everything you'd need.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Scooper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 am

ShawnM wrote:
Scooper wrote:I ordered my GDL82 from Aircraft Spruce today.


That's great Stan, you're gonna love it. It is an awesome addition to my plane and now with IN and OUT I have a complete picture of the traffic around me.

Make sure you order RG-400 cable for the GPS antenna, minimum 6.5 feet and 2 BNC connectors and 2 TNC connectors. Everything else you need is in the box.

Please update us when you can after you get it installed.


Will do, Shawn, and thanks for all the info you've provided here on Sport Pilot Talk after installing your own GDL82. I received an email from AS&S that my unit has shipped.

MrMorden wrote:
That's a nice steam gauge panel, Stan. Very functional and it has everything you'd need.


Thanks, Andy. I love the panel, but wish it had a little more real estate. I'd like to install an autopilot and a second com transceiver and it's going to be a tight fit.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KOAK)

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1964
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby MrMorden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 am

Scooper wrote:Thanks, Andy. I love the panel, but wish it had a little more real estate. I'd like to install an autopilot and a second com transceiver and it's going to be a tight fit.


Hmm...do you really need two coms? Your current Garmin can monitor two freqs; I can understand needing to hear two freqs, but not sure why you'd need to transmit on two for VFR ops. Flip/flopping between monitored freqs is not any less convenient than switching radios. Though you have a VOR head, and you might need the second freq on the Garmin for that. I'd just use GPS and save the two grand. :)

You could fit a TruTrack AP head where your passenger warning placard is now, and move the placard. If you feel strongly about the second com you can exchange your transponder for a Becker or MicroAir and free up plenty of space for the com and AP head, and not need to move the placard.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Warmi
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Warmi » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 am

Two comms are handy on towered airports when you have 3 frequencies to deal with although , If you have your gps hooked up to the comm , flipping is easy ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

Wm.Ince
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Wm.Ince » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:51 am

MrMorden wrote:That's a nice steam gauge panel, Stan. Very functional and it has everything you'd need.

Concur.
Nice analog panel.
Bill Ince
CTSW
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator

User avatar
Scooper
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby Scooper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:57 pm

I've had occasion to be having simultaneous conversations on two different frequencies when flying with a pilot passenger, like talking to ATC while also talking to flight service or air-to-air. Admittedly, it's rare.

I've thought about the area where the passenger placard is for the autopilot, and may be able to squeeze something like a Flightline 760A Com (2-1/4" round panel hole) in there too.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Image
Experimental AMD CH601XL-B LSA N601KE (KOAK)

TimTaylor
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby TimTaylor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Two flip-flop radios are great. Set up on ATIS, Approach, Tower, and Ground.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

User avatar
WDD
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby WDD » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm

I wonder why radios are limited to only 2 selections? Why not 4 or 6 preset buttons as you would have in a car radio? Heck, why not just have an "Airport" call up where you would just select an airport, and all the frequencies associated with that pop up on the display -- ground, tower, approach, ATTIS, etc. - and you simply touch / pick what you wanted?

I get that in the old days you'd want a back up radio in case a vacuum tube went out, but is that really needed these day??

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby ShawnM » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 pm

I've never had the need to "talk" to two different people but my new Garmin GTR-200 has a monitor function so I can "listen" to two different frequencies at the same time. This is helpful when monitoring tower and also listening to AWOS or ATIS.

WDD,
My Garmin GTR-200 is coupled to my Aera 660 GPS so it knows "where" I am and I can easily scroll through "nearest" airport frequencies. It's show me the 10 closest airports with their respective frequencies. Unicom or tower, ground, awos or atis, approach or departure, they're all right there on the Aera 660. I simply touch the frequency I want and it loads it in stand by. Could't be any easier.

Even if it's not near me I can touch the airport on the map and it brings up a full list of frequencies, I just touch the frequency I want, like a preset, and it loads into standby.

There's a pic of my panel earlier in this topic that shows the Aera 660 and the GTR-200.

Good luck with the GDL-82 Stan. Glad to be of help.

rsteele
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:40 pm

Re: ADSB-B in and out

Postby rsteele » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:48 am

ShawnM wrote:I'
My Garmin GTR-200 is coupled to my Aera 660 GPS so it knows "where" I am and I can easily scroll through "nearest" airport frequencies. It's show me the 10 closest airports with their respective frequencies. Unicom or tower, ground, awos or atis, approach or departure, they're all right there on the Aera 660. I simply touch the frequency I want and it loads it in stand by. Could't be any easier.

Good luck with the GDL-82 Stan. Glad to be of help.


I think most glass panel/radio combinations work in a similar way. My Dynon does. It's also tied to the GPS so you don't even need to select "nearest" in most cases. It will preselect the standby airport and you select the frequency you want from "tower" "ground" "atis" etc, with a hardware button. It also has the list of nearest you can select from. This is just one of several reason I put a glass panel in my plane.

Ron


Return to “Hangar Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests