How safe is flying?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

rsteele

Re: How safe is flying?

Post by rsteele »

The experimental folks suffered a lot of transition training issues because pilots with low (or no) time in their plane to suffered a disproportionately high number of accidents. The FAA changed the rules a few years ago that allow transition training in your own plane (you may have a CFI familiar with your plane type teach you how to fly your plane). This has had a dramatic effect reducing accidents in EABs.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

sportflugzeug wrote:Well said Shawn.

On that note, I had a scheduled flight tomorrow, but it has low ceilings and low visibility in Chicagoland. I spoke to my CFI and he said cancellation is at 85%. :cry:
Morris weather forecast for tomorrow:

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/ ... 9&state=IL

Flying on that day in an Evektor could be considered bordering on suicidal :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I think a big part of the answer is: "as safe as you choose to make it."

But I think small airplanes are slightly less safe than cars, and more safe than motorcycles. My reasoning is that on a motorcycle, most of the big risks are out of your control (other drivers mostly, but also animals, obstacles in the road, etc). In flying, most of the big risks are IN your control (fuel, what weather to fly in, safe operations, etc).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Warmi wrote:Short answer ...

Commercial - very safe , no different than driving cars and safer if you consider the total distance you get to cover.
GA , statistically, compared to commercial aviation, you are about 10 times more likely to die in a small plane crash and overall is similar to riding a motorcycle.
You had to say that. :shock: Imagine just 6 weeks into my flight training I'm almost killed in a motorcycle accident. Then, while recovering, there are a spate of airplane crashes in my neck of the woods, some fatal. Of course I'm trying to explain to my family that flying is much safer(granted I have much more time on a motorcycle then a plane at this point)while planning when to get back to my training. As others have said, most of what can happen is within our control and what to do in an emergency was frequently covered by my instructor.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

rcpilot wrote:
Warmi wrote:Short answer ...

Commercial - very safe , no different than driving cars and safer if you consider the total distance you get to cover.
GA , statistically, compared to commercial aviation, you are about 10 times more likely to die in a small plane crash and overall is similar to riding a motorcycle.
You had to say that. :shock: Imagine just 6 weeks into my flight training I'm almost killed in a motorcycle accident. Then, while recovering, there are a spate of airplane crashes in my neck of the woods, some fatal. Of course I'm trying to explain to my family that flying is much safer(granted I have much more time on a motorcycle then a plane at this point)while planning when to get back to my training. As others have said, most of what can happen is within our control and what to do in an emergency was frequently covered by my instructor.
Well, you got your quota of serious accidents fulfilled for a good while so I think you are good to go ... :)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

MrMorden wrote:I think a big part of the answer is: "as safe as you choose to make it."

But I think small airplanes are slightly less safe than cars, and more safe than motorcycles. My reasoning is that on a motorcycle, most of the big risks are out of your control (other drivers mostly, but also animals, obstacles in the road, etc). In flying, most of the big risks are IN your control (fuel, what weather to fly in, safe operations, etc).
Agree. I was going to make the point also but got so wordy I gave it up.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

TimTaylor wrote:
HAPPYDAN wrote:I have heard that old adage "There are 2 types of pilots; those who have crashed and those that will crash."
I've never heard that one. I think it's more pessimistic than most.
It's old Army, probably coined by one of the many washouts. Just sour grapes.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
HAPPYDAN wrote:I have heard that old adage "There are 2 types of pilots; those who have crashed and those that will crash."
I've never heard that one. I think it's more pessimistic than most.
It's old Army, probably coined by one of the many washouts. Just sour grapes.
Probably talking about helicopters. :twisted: :twisted:
WDD

Post by WDD »

Probably best to look at it not in terms of an overall average, but in what conditions. As the good doctor pointed out, most occur because a pilot flies VFR into bad weather, and controlled flight into terrain. If you avoid situations where those occur, then your accident rate substantially changes. Not all flying has the same accident rate, so it's not as if you are just as likely to have an accident flying on a sunny blue sky calm day vs flying in questionable weather.

Same with motorcycle riding. I choose not to ride at night, never when alcohol has been consumed, and never unless completely covered by gear. My risk of an accident/injury is a lot less than the average just by doing those things.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, there are two kinds of pilots. Those who can count.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Flying is as safe as you make it. If you want to fly on MVFR days, high winds, no weather briefing, and in a poorly maintained aircraft the odds of an accident skyrockets. If you know your limits, pay attention to the weather and have a good "go/no go" set of personal minimums with realistic risk management in my mind it's as safe as it can be.

Everything has inherent risk, from flying or simply breathing air, how we address the risk is the key. My brother rides motorcycles, I fly planes, my parents tell us we both are crazy. I tend to think his one day riders course was a bit less through than 75 hours of flight training and checkride. But hey, whos to say, an aircraft is more complex so maybe it all evens out. All I know is when I strap myself in, I'm damn sure I've followed the checklist and have taken every step I can to prepare for the risks. It's like the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared. "
Ed
carlapilot

Post by carlapilot »

Hello! I am also new student pilot, just had my very first flight. I think actually flying is safe. My grandpa was a pilot and never had an accident during 30 years.... sometimes accidents can happen but comparing to car driving, flying is the safest in the world (after the train of course)... watch the statistic. just a flight accident is so rare, its a big deal in the news.. especially this one, but the ex fighter pilot captain remained so calm and put the plane down in one piece... and also woman :)
She sets a good example... I feel a little bit I want to be just as like her.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Statistics aside, I always go back to this: Going home from work, driving at 70mph, within 25 feet of 10 cars. No communications and poor visibility, no pre-planning or discussion about our "formation flying". Varying capability of drivers and vehicles, including good chance of impaired or distracted driving. Now THAT is scary!
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
carlapilot

Post by carlapilot »

you are absolutely right....
driving car is way more dangerous anyway...
but luckily not all car drivers will start to fly.. :D air would be too busy...
ct4me wrote:Statistics aside, I always go back to this: Going home from work, driving at 70mph, within 25 feet of 10 cars. No communications and poor visibility, no pre-planning or discussion about our "formation flying". Varying capability of drivers and vehicles, including good chance of impaired or distracted driving. Now THAT is scary!
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

During 43 years of professional flying (excluding two combat flying tours in Vietnam) . . . the most dangerous part of it all was driving to and from the airport.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator