Sport Pilot DPE shortage

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Sport Pilot DPE shortage

Post by FastEddieB »

Great news, Professor!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

A little late but congrats Paul.

Can you sign off your own students and examine them or play shuffle with another instructor?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Jim Hardin wrote:A little late but congrats Paul.

Can you sign off your own students and examine them or play shuffle with another instructor?
Huh ... I cannot imagine this being ethically acceptable :-)
Last edited by Warmi on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Jim Hardin wrote:A little late but congrats Paul.

He can instruct them, then hand them off to another instructor for check ride prep, then do the check ride. He can't both sign them off and do the check ride.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Congrats, Paul!

As a DPE-SP, can you give the CFI-S checkride?
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: He can instruct them, then hand them off to another instructor for check ride prep, then do the check ride. He can't both sign them off and do the check ride.
That's correct. As an aside: for Sport Pilots, the FARs require 2 hours of checkride prep (dual) within the 2 calendar months prior to the practical test. (For Private candidates, it's 3 hours.) But, another regulation says the recommending Instructor must have given any applicant 3 hours of dual to sign him or her off. So, my plan is to turn my students over to an adjunct CFI after completing XC training. That other CFI will finish them up, walk them through the IACRA process, sign them off, and then I will have to evaluate them as though I had never flown with them.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hambone wrote: As a DPE-SP, can you give the CFI-S checkride?
Not yet, Ham. After I've served as a DPE for a year, I can then apply to add that privilege.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

For several months now, I've been telling you about my efforts to resolve the Sport Pilot Examiner shortage. I'm still jumping through the final hoops to become certified (it could take another week, or a couple of months, depending upon the FAA...) Meanwhile, my new DPE website just went live. Take an advance look at:

http://SportPilotExaminer.US

Comments and feedback always welcome.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, Any suggestions on a good source for finding DPE's around the country? I have been trying to figure out where the closest glider DPE is for my son. We don't have one in our FSDO area.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom, here's a link to the FAA DPE search engine:

http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp

Use the pulldowns to select the category/class of aircraft, and the FAA District of interest.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:For several months now, I've been telling you about my efforts to resolve the Sport Pilot Examiner shortage. I'm still jumping through the final hoops to become certified (it could take another week, or a couple of months, depending upon the FAA...) Meanwhile, my new DPE website just went live. Take an advance look at:
http://SportPilotExaminer.US
Comments and feedback always welcome.
Very well done.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Tom, here's a link to the FAA DPE search engine:

Use the pulldowns to select the category/class of aircraft, and the FAA District of interest.
I've looked at this before. The pull down gives lots of choices but glider and airplane are not among them. even when you go to the individual FSDO it doesn't state airplane or glider.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: even when you go to the individual FSDO it doesn't state airplane or glider.
True, Tom, but you can dig it out indirectly. When you get the names from the individual FSDO's list of DPEs, some of the names have specific aircraft models listed. This will give you a hint as to the examiner's specialty. For example, those listing R-22 and R-44 are obviously helicopter examiners. Those listing Sw 2-33 are glider examiners, etc.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: even when you go to the individual FSDO it doesn't state airplane or glider.
True, Tom, but you can dig it out indirectly. When you get the names from the individual FSDO's list of DPEs, some of the names have specific aircraft models listed. This will give you a hint as to the examiner's specialty. For example, those listing R-22 and R-44 are obviously helicopter examiners. Those listing Sw 2-33 are glider examiners, etc.
When they list models like that it is only for aircraft that require a special authorization to perform a check ride in. I have never seen a listing for a specific model of single engine airplane or glider.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

3Dreaming wrote:
drseti wrote:Tom, here's a link to the FAA DPE search engine:

I've looked at this before. The pull down gives lots of choices but glider and airplane are not among them. even when you go to the individual FSDO it doesn't state airplane or glider.
Wouldn't the https://www.ssa.org/ be a source? Might have to join.