Can a designation be changed

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ScottyB

Can a designation be changed

Post by ScottyB »

Can a maufactured plane (s-lsa) be changed to an experimental aircraft ?(E-lsa)
Would it require building a plane from 51%?
3Dreaming

Re: Can a designation be changed

Post by 3Dreaming »

ScottyB wrote:Can a maufactured plane (s-lsa) be changed to an experimental aircraft ?(E-lsa)
Yes you can change from SLSA to ELSA. There is no 51% rule for ELSA. Take a look at 21.191 (i).

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?S ... 1&rgn=div8
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Good info here: http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com

I took my SLSA Sky Arrow to ELSA status in 2009, using Mike Huffman of the above link.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

ScottyB wrote:Can a maufactured plane (s-lsa) be changed to an experimental aircraft ?(E-lsa)
And it's very easy to do. The DAR you find will charge a fee for his services typically around $500 and it'll take a couple of hours. My annual was completed the week prior to my conversion so it went very quickly.

Not every DAR can perform this conversion so you'll have to check around for one that can. If you happen to be in Florida I can recommend one in Central Florida.

Best thing you'll ever do in my opinion.
ScottyB

Post by ScottyB »

This is the plan, I know of a Cessna 150 not in flyable condition but with some carbon fiber modifications I can bring this plane to specifications for Elsa
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

ScottyB wrote:This is the plan, I know of a Cessna 150 not in flyable condition but with some carbon fiber modifications I can bring this plane to specifications for Elsa
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not possible.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sorry to tell you that, regardless of modifications, a C150 cannot be converted to LSA of any flavor. Any landplane that was ever certified with a Max gross weight above 1320 can never meet LSA rules.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Since he is planning to rebuild it, can't he just claim it to be his own EAB creation that just happened to be based on Cessna 150 body ... and then certify as EAB LSA ?
Last edited by Warmi on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ScottyB

Post by ScottyB »

That would mean I would have to lose all certificates for the Cessna 150 and put the plane together as scrap parts .
I like that idea that would make it a full experimental
comperini

Post by comperini »

You’d have a heck of a time convincing the FAA that you built more than 51% of the thing. You are clearly trying to get around rules here. If this was easily done, someone else would have done it in the past 13 years
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

As an absolute last resort, he can go "EE" Experimental Exhibition. However, doing so would limit its use and insurance would be prohibited. In the end, you will have your cake, but it is gonna be hard to digest...LOL
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I won't say that it can't be done, but it won't be easy. An experienced Cessna 120/140 guy built this experimental.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 76225.html
WDD

Post by WDD »

Another consideration is that you'd never be able to fly it with a Sport Pilot license, as a Cessna 150 could never be modified to be less than 1320 lbs.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:As an absolute last resort, he can go "EE" Experimental Exhibition. However, doing so would limit its use and insurance would be prohibited. In the end, you will have your cake, but it is gonna be hard to digest...LOL
Current Experimental Exhibition rules do limit the aircrafts use somewhat. Older Experimental Exhibition operating limitations are more in line with EAB aircraft.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "insurance would be prohibited". I personally know of 2 airplanes with Experimental Exhibition airworthiness certificates that are fully insured.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by, "insurance would be prohibited".
I imagine he meant to say "prohibitive."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US