Far 91.307...

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

ScottyB

Far 91.307...

Post by ScottyB »

Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds...
I don't have a parachute but have a ballistic chute... What are the opinions of my fellow pilots
Personally I'd rather use the ballistic shoot
3Dreaming

Re: Far 91.307...

Post by 3Dreaming »

If you are worried about it you can file for a waiver based on the airframe chute. I don't know if it will be granted or not. I seem to remember someone being granted a waiver for a S9 doing airshows if I don't have my facts crossed up.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Worth pointing out that if you’re solo, no parachute is required.

But if you have a passenger, then each occupant must wear one.

I have not heard of any exception for airframe parachutes, which are clearly not “worn”.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
smutny

Post by smutny »

Ballistic chutes are not regulated by 91.307. In fact, in an ELSA or E-AB, there is no regulation that requires you to keep your ballistic chute pack current. In SLSA the manufacturer may do so.

It is, however, a violation of the FAR's if you fly with an emergency chute that is out of pack. So, even though you don't need a chute to fly acro by yourself, if you wear an out of pack chute, you can face FAA action.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

smutny wrote: It is, however, a violation of the FAR's if you fly with an emergency chute that is out of pack. So, even though you don't need a chute to fly acro by yourself, if you wear an out of pack chute, you can face FAA action.
If true, that sounds like something that affects only certified airplanes. Since manufacturers set all the maintenance requirements for S-LSA, I'm guessing this doesn't apply to those aircraft.

EDIT: I might have misunderstood your post...if you are referring to worn parachutes, this is correct. I thought you were referring to airframe parachutes.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
smutny

Post by smutny »

MrMorden wrote:
smutny wrote: EDIT: I might have misunderstood your post...if you are referring to worn parachutes, this is correct. I thought you were referring to airframe parachutes.
Yeah, I was using emergency chute to reference a rig you wear and ballistic chute as an airframe system.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Upon further reflection what I may be remembering is someone flying in a aerobatic contest with a Rans S-9. The IAC requires a parachute for all competitors. I think they made an exception for this fellow because of the airframe parachute. The IAC rules now allow for either a pilot worn chute or a airframe chute.
smutny

Post by smutny »

IAC competition rules allows for an airframe chute only if the pilot is the sole occupant. If there are two on board, then both need to wear an emergency rig regardless if the airframe has a ballistic chute.

You are not required to wear a chute when flying an air show, some performers don't.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

smutny wrote:IAC competition rules allows for an airframe chute only if the pilot is the sole occupant. If there are two on board, then both need to wear an emergency rig regardless if the airframe has a ballistic chute.

You are not required to wear a chute when flying an air show, some performers don't.
I understand that. I was trying to pull something from my grey matter that I either heard or read some 30 plus years ago. As I said earlier there was a S-9 pilot flying airshows or maybe a contest that was granted an exemption by either the FAA or IAC. I don't think IAC had the provision for a airframe chute back then. The facts that I do remember are airframe parachute and exemption.
smutny

Post by smutny »

The IAC changed the rule book to allow for ballistic systems in 2012. There might have been a IAC rule waiver request before that.

There is no requirement to wear a chute to fly an air show, so no waiver of FAA regs would have been needed or done.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Still, for the OP I see no reason a request for waiver couldn't be requested. Whether it would be granted or not is a completely different story, but you never know until you ask.
smutny

Post by smutny »

No FSDO will provide a CoW for 91.307. If you have two people on board, both must wear a parachute. FSDO's do not compromise on issues of safety.

That being said, we've all seen tons of YouTube videos with people flying acro, in the US, with passengers and no chutes. If you end up on the FAA's radar for something, no chutes may be one more thing on your naughty list, but doubtful it is the reason your ended up on their radar to begin with.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
ScottyB

Post by ScottyB »

Thank you all for your help and information on parachute rules.
I have decided to not do aerobics with a passenger and just use the ballistic chute
ScottyB
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

ScottyB wrote:Thank you all for your help and information on parachute rules.
I have decided to not do aerobics with a passenger and just use the ballistic chute
ScottyB
Send pictures :D
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

Interesting blog, So here is my two cents, Paragraph 91.307 (a) states, " No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and has been packed by a certified and appropriately rated parachute rigger." The pilot is responsible to make sure, if installed, the parachute is an approved type and properly packed but a certified rigger. A civil aircraft encompasses SLSA, ELSA, E-AB aircraft. Furthermore: (e) For the purposes of this section, approved parachute means- (1) A Parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a Technical Standard Order". If it is not you cannot have it in your civil aircraft.

If Type certified equipment is installed in a SLSAs the LSA manufacture has no authority to say how the certified equipment is maintained or inspected. If installed in an ELSA orE-AB LSA the owner cannot make up his own rules for the equipment, only the certification body, i.e. FAA can. For example, ELTs are required in all aircraft with more than one seat, they are certified equipment. ADs have been published for them and we have to comply with those ADs if that equipment is installed in our LSAs. ADs can be issued for BPs and if installed we have to comply.

I Hope this helps

Randall Bearden
C162 N3037T
Sport Pilot
LSRM-A