Mogas Octane Loss

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TakeTwo

Mogas Octane Loss

Post by TakeTwo »

Being new to the Light Sport realm, I do not yet fully appreciate all of the nuances of operations that are possible. Poor weather and poor scheduIe has kept me on the ground for most of December and January. I currently have a mostly-full tank of mogas that has been there for about 4-6 weeks. I have read and been told that mogas will lose its octane level (starting at 93 octane) after about 30 days. I recently became aware of a fuel additive at aircraftspruce.com - Fuel Fresh - that says it maintains the octane level and prevents plaqueing-out. Can anyone shed any light on this product and its efficacy in Rotax engines?

I'm guessing that one alternate course of action would be to partially drain the tanks and re-fill with fresh mogas or 100LL to boost the octane. Related questions about detonation: How much of an issue is it ? Will I even know its happening until the aftermath?

Thanks in advance.
3Dreaming

Re: Mogas Octane Loss

Post by 3Dreaming »

Once detonation happens it is too late. I would drain some out and replenish with some fresh fuel, just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure about the additive.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

The additive doesn't restore octane, it keeps the volatiles from evaporating by forming a film on top of the fuel. It works well for lawn mowers. YMMV in an airplane. I'd go with mixing new fuel with old, and would use 100LL, just to be sure.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Everything in aviation is a tradeoff. 100LL has better shelf life, but the lead causes sludging in the gearbox and possibly sticking valves. Pick your poison.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
WDD

Post by WDD »

1) Would not simple Sabil work just fine? Siphon most of your fuel out of the plane, put it in your car's tank. Put in fresh fuel in the plane, add the appropriate amount of Sabil. In the future when you think you'll be on the ground for a while, just treat the gas.

2) After you do that, remember that the treated fuel is in your tank, not your engine carbs. You'll have to run it up / idle for a while to bring the treated fuel into your carbs, otherwise, you risk varnish deposits.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

I assume you're speaking of Ethanol Mo-Gas and not Alcohol-Free Mo-Gas. In that case, definitely yes, after 4-6 weeks sitting, boost it up with at least 50% new Mo-Gas or 100LL. And drain the sump liberally, and put that gas someplace besides the airplane, before flight. I'm in CA, where's there's more "stuff" in our Ethanol than in other locations, and I could tell you numerous horror stories of phase-separated "gunk" that has come out of the sump after sitting a few weeks--that would have tried to kill me, if I let it.--Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured