CFIS Questions

Finally, a place for sport pilot instructors and/or wannabees to talk about instructing.

Moderator: drseti

smutny

CFIS Questions

Post by smutny »

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around getting a Sport Pilot CFI rating. Currently a PPL, with an expired Class III. Cruised through the forums here and some other web searches on the subject.

Good thread on here from a few years ago about the 61 Subpart H (CFI) vs K (CFIS) ratings. Reading through the FAR's, I'm having a tough time pinpointing chapter and verse where that is spelled out. Basically trying to determine if that is still the rule.

The next question I have is can a CFIS, using a LSA aircraft, perform training to any pilot, regardless of rating held, for hire? Namely, can a CFIS do tailwheel, aerobatic, seaplane, etc., for hire, in LSA aircraft? Can that extend to non-rating/endorsement training such as back country flying if done in a LSA? Or is a CFIS limited to basic flight training for hire?

EDIT: I think I answered my own question by seeking the definition of "operating privilege". My interpretation is that a CFIS can only provide training or endorsements for sport pilot only. So a private pilot can not seek a tailwheel endorsement from a CFIS.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
Jim Hardin

Re: CFIS Questions

Post by Jim Hardin »

Most of your answers will be found in 61.413 as well as 61.415

Some gray areas still exist since you hold a PP ASEL That is where you contact your local FSDO or AOPA and EAA.

It is a bit of a cop out but when it comes to the FAR's even the FAA does not always agree with themselves.
Helen

Post by Helen »

The next question I have is can a CFIS, using a LSA aircraft, perform training to any pilot, regardless of rating held, for hire? Namely, can a CFIS do tailwheel, aerobatic, seaplane, etc., for hire, in LSA aircraft? Can that extend to non-rating/endorsement training such as back country flying if done in a LSA?

Yes to all.

Of all of those things the only one that has any caveats is SES since SES is a rating. In that case, if the applicant seeks a rating higher than sport, a subpart H instructor needs to also go through all of the items that will be on the exam and sign the 8710. I work with a subpart K instructor for seaplane rating and if he does the bulk of the training for a PP add-on, I do the final stage check and sign the 8710. This is legal because there is no time requirement for training towards a SES add-on.

We have 10 years of experience dealing with this regulatory maze. Give me a ring if you ever have questions: 410-604-1717

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
smutny

Post by smutny »

Thanks, Helen, I will do just that when the time comes. Need to first finish up the ratings and then plan out what's next. Appreciate the feedback.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

A CFI-S cannot perform a biennial flight review for a private pilot. I'm planning on getting my CFI-S and have passed the written test and am working on right seat proficiency. Not sure where I read this but it makes sense.

I did see on pilots of America I think that a CFI-S can do tailwheel training though. Askacfi.com is a great resource for questions like this.
Helen

Post by Helen »

[quote]A CFI-S cannot perform a biennial flight review for a private pilot.[quote]

Not true. A CFIS can perform a flight review for any SEL rated pilot so long as the flight review is done in an LSA eligible airplane.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
drseti

Post by drseti »

Not doubting you at all, Helen. But, if I should have to defend this, can you cite a source?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Helen

Post by Helen »

This was confirmed with numerous FAA officials over numerous years. The basis of the ruling is that a flight review is a flight review. It doesn't matter who gave it or in what you took it (so long as you were rated in that aircraft). I believe we have that and man other areas of confusion detailed in:

http://www.nafinet.org/forms/cfi%27s%20 ... rcraft.pdf

This document was written by myself and other on this list working with the FAA, NAFI, and ASA. It was proofread by the FAA and tries to explain many of these areas of confusion.

Helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
smutny

Post by smutny »

Great document, thanks for sharing!
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

A CFI-S can NOT give a BFR to a PPL, only a PPL who is exercising as a sport pilot only. This is directly from the FAA and the FAR's.
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

restlinbaum wrote:A CFI-S can NOT give a BFR to a PPL, only a PPL who is exercising as a sport pilot only. This is directly from the FAA and the FAR's.
Which FAR says this? Unless you can point out an FAR that actually says that, I'm going to trust Helen on this.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm guessing he is going to quote this from 61.413, (6) A flight review or operating privilege for a sport pilot;

A private pilot who is flying a light sport aircraft during the day in VFR conditions, is exercising sport pilot privileges. If ramp checked by the FAA all he would need to show is his pilot certificate and drivers license, even if he holds a valid medical. It does not matter if a few hours later on a different flight he can exercise private pilot privileges. I am basing this on the new Basic Med requirements that allow a pilot to hold both Basic Med and a FAA medical certificate. The FAA says you must determine before the flight which you are operating under.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

This is what it says. Not sure where you got all that other stuff. Not from this FAR.

§ 61.413 What are the privileges of my flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating?
(a) If you hold a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating, you are authorized, within the limits of your certificate and rating, to provide training and endorsements that are required for, and relate to -

(1) A student pilot seeking a sport pilot certificate;

(2) A sport pilot certificate;

(3) A flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating;

(4) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft rating;

(5) Sport pilot privileges;

(6) A flight review or operating privilege for a sport pilot;

(7) A practical test for a sport pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate with a powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft rating or a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating;

(8) A knowledge test for a sport pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate with a powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft rating or a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating; and

(9) A proficiency check for an additional category or class privilege for a sport pilot certificate or a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating.

(b) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating is authorized, in a form and manner acceptable to the Administrator, to:

(1) Accept an application for a student pilot certificate or, for an applicant who holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in § 61.56, a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating;

(2) Verify the identity of the applicant; and

(3) Verify that an applicant for a student pilot certificate meets the eligibility requirements in § 61.83.

[Docket FAA-2010-1127, Amdt. 61-135, 81 FR 1307, Jan. 12, 2016, as amended by Docket FAA-2015-0150, Amdt. 61-137, 81 FR 42208, June 28, 2016]
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I said I was basing what I said based on the Basic Med requirements. The relevant information for my opinion is on page 12 of this FAA document.
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviatio ... tation.pdf
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:I said I was basing what I said based on the Basic Med requirements. The relevant information for my opinion is on page 12 of this FAA document.
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviatio ... tation.pdf
Yes, based on that and the FAR you referenced, a pilot who had a current medical and also had accomplished the requirements of Basic Med could get a Flight Review from a Sport CFI while acting as a Sport Pilot. That still leaves open the question, could that same CFI give a Flight Review to a Private in an LSA who had a medical but had not accomplished the requirements of Basic Med. He would simply be a Private taking a Flight Review in an LSA from a Sport CFI. IDK.
Retired from flying.