New LSA - Bristell, Sting S4, SportCruiser or ?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jetcat3

Re: New LSA - Bristell, Sting S4, SportCruiser or ?

Post by jetcat3 »

Rick,

Congrats! Very happy for you. That should be a sweet little rocket ship. Just curious, were you ever able to test fly an Astore?

Drew
agrimm01

Post by agrimm01 »

As a student pilot getting my PPL I've been watching this forum for quite a while. I have been thinking a lot about an LSA such as a Van's RV-12 to build or even buy. But, I hardly ever see that plane discussed on these forums. Is it not as good as the other light sports often discussed on this forum? It seems to cost a lot less.
Andy
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Best of luck and hope you have a quick and satisfactory sale of the Diamond. Then Bristell sounds like a phenomenal airplane. pricey for sure, but phenomenal.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

agrimm01 - I saw about 90 posts come up after searching Vans RV12. If the Homebuilt area of AirVenture is any guide, there are one whole whale-load of RVs out there. I was in-person ogling the RV-12 they are giving away this year which was featured in Sport Aviation a few months ago. It was surely one sweet machine.

Personally I find the prices for new factory built LSA airplanes to be pretty staggering. But Vans has a pretty fine reputation in the field.

BY the way, NOT knocking the costs....as I ALWAYS say about most stuff, things are NOT too expensive.... I just cant afford them - lol
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Awesome.
I am sure a 914 equipped, top of the line , Bristell will give you many hours of pure joy but ...damn, that price tag , I think that's even more than a fully decked out Astore.
Anyway, if you can afford it , then why the hell not ... heh
Congratulations.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
RTK

Post by RTK »

Congrats on the order of the Bristell! Gorgeous aircraft. I'm sure the wait will be worth it!
JAM_MAN

Post by JAM_MAN »

Curious why not a DA20? Range perhaps?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Not an LSA.
Retired from flying.
RickSigler

Post by RickSigler »

Looks like I've got my DA40 sold and I am getting ready to order a new Bristell. I'm going to get the turbo (KABQ is 5300 ft), full IFR panel and will convert it to an ELSA after delivery so I can fly in IMC and do my own maintenance.

Do any of you have any recommendations/suggestions before I place the order? I talked to a new owner in PA and he said he wished he would have gotten the hand brake because the toe brakes are somewhat squirrelly at speed. The demo plane I flew with John had the hand brake and I didn't mind it, but didn't like the placement of the brake lock. I'm also a little worried that in an emergency situation, root memory would take over and I'd be pushing non-existent toe brakes.

Thanks in advance for any help

Rick
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I normally fly a SkyCatcher with toe brakes, but ocassionally fly a Remos GX with a hand brake on the center console. It's not a problem at all except reaching across with my left hand to set the parking brake is almost impossible. I have to loosen my shoulder harness to reach across.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I fly hand brakes, toe brakes, and heel brakes. It won't take long and you will not even think about toe brakes anymore. After I had been flying my CT for a while I jumped back into my Piper Warrior. On landing roll out I caught myself with my hand on the mixture getting ready to pull it as the brake.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Can’t they deliver it as an E-LSA? Simple paperwork and would save you about $400.

I know at least some other manufacturers are willing to do so.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
RickSigler

Post by RickSigler »

They can, but it eliminates the possibility of converting back when you sell it.

Thanks for the input so far.

Rick
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

RickSigler wrote:They can, but it eliminates the possibility of converting back when you sell it.

Thanks for the input so far.

Rick
I don't think it's possible to go back to SLSA from ELSA. My understanding is it's a one-way street. I'd be interested if some who has done the conversion to ELSA has looked into it.

Ron
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

RickSigler wrote:They can, but it eliminates the possibility of converting back when you sell it.
For all practical purposes, even a plane converted to ELSA will be virtually impossible to convert back.

The manufacturer would have to sign off that the plane still met their ASTM standards, which I doubt they would be willing to do.

Or at least that’s how I understand it.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]