Canopy Latch on Sting Sport

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Ted Gordon

Canopy Latch on Sting Sport

Post by Ted Gordon »

I am a new owner of a 2006 Sting Sprort. The canopy latch is extremely hard to close on the passenger side. I talked with Bill Canino on this today and he advises lubrication of latch mechanism (grease), and slipping PVC tubing over the latch handle to increase leverage and save your palms. Also to look for a sprung canopy hinge. Anybody else have a suggestion?

Ted Gordon
drdehave

Re: Canopy Latch on Sting Sport

Post by drdehave »

I've closed mine 3,188 times. They are tough. Take Bill's advice and slip on some fuel line, or something--to save your palms.

Also, remember: the line of travel as you close is down and slightly INWARD. Knowing that helps.

I never ask the passenger to close the right one anymore; I just reach across and do it--with the correct line of travel.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Ted Gordon

Post by Ted Gordon »

Thanks.I'll give it a try
Ted
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Definitely use white lithium grease. Also, check whether the latch itself is smooth to the touch and not ragged. if it is not smooth, file it a bit and that should help.
dave