Getting a plane certified

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Getting a plane certified

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
Possum69 wrote:I did talk with the EAA got some good feed back, But still like to get every ones feed back
Great bunch of folks, they are! They were building a twin engine ultralight while I was there, similar to one in the museum. Can't imagine what sort of certification, if any, that will require.
If it is a ultralight it requires no certification. If it is not an ultralight it can be certified as a experimental amueture built.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If you can turn the fat ultralight into a single seater, then as long at it weighs in at 254 pounds or less empty, and has a fuel capacity of 5 gallons or less, I believe you can still fly it under Part 103 ultralight rules. But to register it as an Experimental Amateur Built LSA, you would have to present a Designated Airworthiness Representative with documentation showing that you did at least 51% of the work.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:If you can turn the fat ultralight into a single seater, then as long at it weighs in at 254 pounds or less empty, and has a fuel capacity of 5 gallons or less, I believe you can still fly it under Part 103 ultralight rules. But to register it as an Experimental Amateur Built LSA, you would have to present a Designated Airworthiness Representative with documentation showing that you did at least 51% of the work.
If you are referring to my comment I was speaking to this posted by HAPPYDAN about the guys at EAA, "Great bunch of folks, they are! They were building a twin engine ultralight while I was there, similar to one in the museum. Can't imagine what sort of certification, if any, that will require.".
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ahhhh...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

There is a twin engine ultralight kit available. I don't remember what it's called.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I remember one like this from the 70's or 80's at Oshkosh. They even flew it in the airshow demonstration aerobatics.
Attachments
UltraflightLazairSeriesIIC-ICKY02.jpg
UltraflightLazairSeriesIIC-ICKY02.jpg (145.76 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I believe that may be the same one in the Museum. One of the Docents said it was used by National Geo in Africa for filming a documentary. The plane the guys were building in the Marks/Weeks hangar north of the field was a kit, donated by someone who bought it but couldn't build it.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:I believe that may be the same one in the Museum. One of the Docents said it was used by National Geo in Africa for filming a documentary. The plane the guys were building in the Marks/Weeks hangar north of the field was a kit, donated by someone who bought it but couldn't build it.
I believe the airplane the National Geographic used was an Aircam. Definitely not LSA or ultralight, though it does have some ultralight genes.
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (102.77 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

drseti wrote:If you can turn the fat ultralight into a single seater, then as long at it weighs in at 254 pounds or less empty, and has a fuel capacity of 5 gallons or less, I believe you can still fly it under Part 103 ultralight rules. But to register it as an Experimental Amateur Built LSA, you would have to present a Designated Airworthiness Representative with documentation showing that you did at least 51% of the work.
This isn't quite right. You have to convince them that 51% was built by amateurs for educational or recreational purposes (i.e., someone didn't build for hire). To restate: the person registering the plane doesn't have to be the one that built it. The built-it-myself argument is only required to get the repairman certificate, which is only needed for the annual inspection sign-off, not for doing actual repairs.

Ron
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

rsteele wrote:
This isn't quite right. You have to convince them that 51% was built by amateurs for educational or recreational purposes (i.e., someone didn't build for hire). To restate: the person registering the plane doesn't have to be the one that built it. The built-it-myself argument is only required to get the repairman certificate, which is only needed for the annual inspection sign-off, not for doing actual repairs.

Ron
To add to this, you don't have to build 51% to get the repairman certificate. A group of 4 can build a kit where 51% is completed for education or recreation. All 4 can have equal roles completing 12.75%. Any 1 of the 4 can apply for the repairman certificate, but only 1 repairman certificate will be issued per aircraft.

Also worth noting that there is no Experimental Amateur Built LSA classification. It is either Experimental Amateur Built or Experimental LSA. There is a big difference between the two. Experimental LSA does not require any specific build percentage requirements, only that it conform to a ASTM approved aircraft, except for the previously grandfathered aircraft.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ron and Tom, your comments are 100% correct. Thanks for clarifying my oversimplification of the 51% rule.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US