XM Radio options

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

XM Radio options

Post by Warmi »

XM radio

I was looking at my options for installing XM radio on my airplane.
The obvious option would be to use Garmin 796 which I have ,and it already has XM radio support built in. The problem here is that I would need to buy Garmin's XM antenna (GXM 40) which is priced, quite ridiculously , at around $600.

Another, more sensible option would be to simply get Sirius' own portable radio ( like this one : https://shop.siriusxm.com/onyx-ez-vehicle.html.) It comes with its own antenna, mounting kits etc ...
It sells for about $60 and has an additional advantage of being portable ( I can take it with me to my car .)

The second choice seems like a no-brainer but I am wondering if there are some potential pitfalls related to installing, what amounts to a car radio kit, on a plane ?
I wondering if anyone here is using one of these radios on their plane and if, perhaps, they have some insight to share ?

Thanks
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Re: XM Radio options

Post by 3Dreaming »

Installing something like that on a SLSA requires approval from the manufacture. I would start by asking them first. With everybody switching to ADSB, I would think you should be able to buy a used Garmin XM antenna fairly reasonable.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Hmmm ... you think even something mounted externally , like this -> Image would require approval from the manufacturer ?
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

I would think a "portable" installation would not require any authorization. FAA allows portable camera mounts.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Are you looking for XM Weather or some type of inflight satellite entertainment?
dave
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Just the XM radio - I got ADBS in for traffic/weather.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

You might try a used or refurbished gxm-40. I found several for $120 doing a casual search.
dave
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I've never felt like an entertainment radio in an airplane is a great idea. When flying VFR, I'm usually using flight following or just monitoring ATC. Never felt the need for music.
Retired from flying.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

I don't have much use for commercial radio entertainment in an LSA. Who needs to hear some guy blathering on or inane commercials?

That said my $35 iPod Shuffle works great in the aux plug and only needs to be charged up. Works great on my D.C. Stereo headset in my SLSA.

That said again... I tried the iPod a few times and have to say I prefer the sounds of flight over music and find it somewhat of a distraction.

My 2 cents.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Certainly don't do music while in high-traffic areas, but there's nothing like some smooth Jazz while flying 3-400 miles down the Baja coast. No traffic, no ATC, no flight following. Mute feature makes it safe for whatever breaks squelch. XM/Sirius not needed, as my matchbook-sized MP3 player works great. But if you have a subscription, why not??
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

I have the Garmin XM rcvr/antenna in my SportStar, driving a GPS MAP 496. I don't listen to the radio when flying (especially not when instructing), so only ever used it for wx. Now that I have ADS-B in and out thru the Dynon Skyview system, I've let my XM WX subscription expire - and will probably never use it again. (Feel free to make me an offer.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

It is quite embarrassing to admit but upon closer inspection, it turns out, I actually do have Garmin XM antenna already installed on my new Sting - problem solved :-)