Searching for an inexpensive aircraft

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

HAPPYDAN

Re: Searching for an inexpensive aircraft

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Just a suggestion here. Before you put money down, if you're still considering an ultralight with 2 stroke power, research "effects of ethanol E10 on 2 stroke engines". Or, buy your gasoline at an airport or marina.
bps

Post by bps »

I flew behind a 582 for a good bit until it put me down the second time. The first time was a lower rod bearing failure at 270 hours (just under the 300 TBO). The second time I had a fuel delivery issue on take off (engine sputtered). I am not interested in flying behind a two stroke any more however I have lots of friends who have had no issues. I also think getting a plane out of a trailer and the folding wings will get old.

I got interested in Ercoupes, but couldn't find a good one with an empty weight below 900 lbs with metal wings. For outside tie down, you'd have to have a metalized wing. Still think they are great little birds. Other vintage LSA eligible are nice too if you have a tail wheel endorsement, which I don't.

I ended up recently acquiring a Zenith ch 601 xlb. The wing issues they had were fixed with a mod (notated by the "b") and I don't think you can find one that hasn't had the mod. I'm very happy with it, but haven't had it long. Good luck whatever way you go. Now if this rainy weather will just go away so I can get to the airport...
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

I like the Ercoupe but I feel some of the other "LSA Compliant Antiques" are more capable aircraft

Cubs, Champs, T-Craft and the like

I'm partial to the Aeronca Champ or Chief however I am very very biased

In your first post you mentioned a Kitfox with a 2-stroke motor for $15k or so

The Kitfox is a fantastic bird, especially the 3 and 4 and up

the 1 and 2 were less forgiving

back in my UL days I owned several planes with Rotax 2-strokers.... I never had a problem but I followed 2 simple rules
1) do all maintenance and overhauls on time, use hobbs meter, no guessing
2) no performance mods: racing exhaust pipes, bore jobs, non-standard jetting etc

keep it stock and maintain it by the book
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

I brought up the issue of E10 because of a rash of 2 stroke engine failures at the ORV dirt track a few years ago. This article
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/ethanol-an ... ll-engines
can provide some insight to the hazards. Fortune favors the properly prepared.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Wow so much good info.

Also I liked the look of the kitfox, but the owner hasn't replied to my email as of yet. I did find a nicely equipped Zenith 601xl-b for just a few grand more with only a few hundred hours on it. a few hours away, but not bad. I have emailed about this one.

Either way it turns out, this has turned out to be a good thread. Of course if my numbers come up for the lottery I will buy the Bristell I want. :D
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Interestingly enough I just saw a flier where kitfox is now offering a RADIAL engine option! I guess it's made in Australia under the Rotec brand. I wonder if you could change engines out???
Ed
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Joey,

They have a brand new Bristell - unsold in the hanger at Lancaster - it may end up in the share program. It is a dark blue - almost Navy Metallic - I am about to check my mega numbers....maybe I will beat you to it! :twisted:
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

joey4420 wrote:Wow so much good info.

Also I liked the look of the kitfox, but the owner hasn't replied to my email as of yet. I did find a nicely equipped Zenith 601xl-b for just a few grand more with only a few hundred hours on it. a few hours away, but not bad. I have emailed about this one.

Either way it turns out, this has turned out to be a good thread. Of course if my numbers come up for the lottery I will buy the Bristell I want. :D
The Zenith's are great, however as I'm sure you are already aware there were 2 models (CH601 XL and 650 ) that had wing problems resulting in inflight failures and deaths... the FAA grounded these specific models pending a mandatory (on SLSA versions) mod which fixed the problem (mod is optional for E-AB versions)

I would avoid these models even if the mod was done, not for safety reasons as they are safe once the wing has been upgraded, my reason for avoiding them is tarnished reputation and questionable resale value and the likelihood that it would take a long time to sell

this may be true of anything branded AMD, Zenith, Zenair, Zodiac or any other name they dream up next, pilots have long memories

but then again..... those same problems could create a great buying opportunity to pick up a bargain
Last edited by azsportpilot on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

azsportpilot wrote:
joey4420 wrote:Wow so much good info.

The Zenith's are great, however as I'm sure you are already aware there were 2 models (CH601 XL and 650 ) that had wing problems resulting in inflight failures and deaths... the FAA grounded these specific models pending a mandatory (on SLSA versions) mod which fixed the problem (mod is optional for E-AB versions)

I would avoid these models even if the mod was done, not for safety reasons as they are safe once the wing has been upgraded, my reason for avoiding them is tarnished reputation and questionable resale value and the likelihood that it would take a long time to sell

this may be true of anything branded AMD, Zenith, Zodiac or any other name they dream up next, pilots have long memories

but then again..... those same problems could create a great buying opportunity to pick up a bargain
That is my hope it will allow for a great buying opportunity. I like to think I am frugal and just don't want to spend more if I don't have to. If I had unlimited resources then I would spend more I am sure, but for something I will not fly everyday I don't mind starting with something I saved money on. I saved a lot buying my Cobra with the same mindset, heck even after the upgrades I have done I could still sell it for a profit.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

this XL-B was just posted on barnstormers

seems like a nice one with a Lycoming motor

ZODIAC 601XLB • $23,000 • AVAILABLE • Zodiac 601XLB,2005, Lyc. O 235,1093 ttsn,130st, AF 480 sn, sliding canopy, Becker com, nice airplane • Contact Donald M. Fuller, Owner - located Maple Hill, KS USA • Telephone: 7852498212 . • Posted March 15, 2017 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad

I have no affiliation with seller or knowledge of the plane..... just a barnstormers junkie
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

rsteele

Post by rsteele »

ZODIAC 601XLB • $23,000 • AVAILABLE • Zodiac 601XLB,2005, Lyc. O 235,1093 ttsn,130st, AF 480 sn, sliding canopy,
I've been looking at Zodiacs for a long time and I've never seen one with a sliding canopy. I wish the ad had pictures. This one also has more hours than I've ever seen. Probably worth a look.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

rsteele wrote:
ZODIAC 601XLB • $23,000 • AVAILABLE • Zodiac 601XLB,2005, Lyc. O 235,1093 ttsn,130st, AF 480 sn, sliding canopy,
I've been looking at Zodiacs for a long time and I've never seen one with a sliding canopy. I wish the ad had pictures. This one also has more hours than I've ever seen. Probably worth a look.
most ads have no pictures as barnstormers charges $20.00 to add pictures, the sliding canopy sounds cool
if you are interested I would call or write for pictures
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

I emailed them as the sliding does sound interesting.

I have also emailed several others off of Barnstormers.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Post the pics if you get any.
when do we eat?
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

They updated the ad with the sliding canopy to show pics.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE