CTSW N509CT is now Experimental!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

CTSW N509CT is now Experimental!

Post by MrMorden »

Reposted from the CTFliers forum:

I had the DAR inspection yesterday, and my airplane is now officially an Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (E-LSA). It was a pretty painless experience, the hardest part is gathering all the paperwork for the DAR to review. I needed to show a current condition inspection had been performed, the ELT and transponder maintenance were current, a current W&B showing all installed equipment, a POH, flight training supplement, and FAA limitations, factory flight test, ground test, and final acceptance documents, factory authorization (usually MRA/LOA) for any modifications, the original factory FAA 8130-15 statement of compliance form, and a few other documents. All that took me a couple of weeks to locate and compile.

My new W&B (which I needed to do anyway) showed that between the Matco wheel, autopilot install, and the Dynon D-100 (which was not on the factory sheet as it was installed at Airtime Aviation), I gained about ten pounds, and the empty CG moved slightly forward (which is good, my empty CG was close to the aft limit - not that the airplane flies empty!) -- current useful load is now 575lb.

The inspection was pretty easy, I was only missing the "NO INTENTIONAL SPINS" placard, and I printed one and stuck it on in front of the DAR, so he was happy with that. Everything else checked out fine, and the DAR complimented me on the attention to detail in having everything ready and all the documentation correct. He poured through my logbook pretty thoroughly, and asked me a few questions, but was satisfied with all my answers.

I'm happy he let me put the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard on the front of the spar box -- it's visible from both entrances as required, but not emblazoned on the outside of the airplane. I also had to change the passenger warning placard to indicate experimental status.

Since he has done a lot of these conversions, I asked him about changes to resale value. He doesn't think it really affects it. Only flights schools and commercial users get turned off by it, he said. Most users like the idea of doing their own maintenance if inclined, if not they can follow factory guidance. I guess someday I will find out one way or another. :)

Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Re: CTSW N509CT is now Experimental!

Post by FastEddieB »

Congratulations!

I've always thought you were exactly the sort of hands-on guy that would benefit from the change.

Once you take the 16-hour course to do your own Annual Condition Inspections, maybe we can each assist the other - an extra set of eyes and hands is never a bad thing to have!

I don't recall nearly the paperwork treasure hunt that you had. Mike did catch two things on mine:

1) My plane was delivered without an ELT remote. He showed me where it was a required item and I added one.

2) I had somehow let my transponder check lapse. I got permission to fly into KTYS sans transponder to have it recertified.

Anyway, welcome to the club!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations Andy. :)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote: 2) I had somehow let my transponder check lapse. I got permission to fly into KTYS sans transponder to have it recertified.
Two days before the inspection, I looked at the log and saw mine had lapsed in late December. I guess it's such an easy thing to forget. I quickly got the avionics shop to do the check and it was set before the inspection. $125 later, of course. :(
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

eyeflygps wrote:I think that's the way to go for someone with an SLSA that's a few years old, they have a hanger, time, skills, and inclination.
Well, as the song says...two out of three ain't bad! ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

About a year and a half ago, I went all the way up to the gate, in doing this, including taking the Inspection Course at Rainbow Aviation, then changed my mind at the last minute.

But it's nice to have your list of items as a handy reference if I get the urge again. Thanks for listing everything you needed.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
craigv

Post by craigv »

Good information! I've considered doing the same.
What are the downsides of going Experimental? I'm guessing you have no intention of selling but on the one hand I've always heard a lower resale price but then the changes you made sound terrific. In general, is it a lower resale price due to the new buyer not being sure of what they're getting?
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

craigv wrote:. . . " I've always heard a lower resale price but then the changes you made sound terrific. In general, is it a lower resale price due to the new buyer not being sure of what they're getting?"
Not necessarily true. It all depends on the individual buyer. Some buyers see the freedom to do their own maintenance and the versatility very attractive. Insurance rates are fairly comparable.

The only down side I see is the the possibility of a reduced target market (when selling). Some buyers will not even consider purchasing an "experimental," for lack of knowledge and fear of the unknown.

That withstanding, nothing takes the place of a good and thorough pre-buy inspection, by a competant mechanic, familiar with the airframe and powerplant.
Bill Ince
LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Also remember: Just because you legally *can* do a task, doesn't mean you *must* or even *should* do that task. There are lots of maintenance tasks, particularly regarding the engine, that I'm not comfortable doing. For those, I'll pay somebody to do them. There's no reason not to do those tasks you feel comfortable with, and farm out the rest. Over time your comfort zone should increase and you can take on more of the work yourself.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:Also remember: Just because you legally *can* do a task, doesn't mean you *must* or even *should* do that task. There are lots of maintenance tasks, particularly regarding the engine, that I'm not comfortable doing. For those, I'll pay somebody to do them. There's no reason not to do those tasks you feel comfortable with, and farm out the rest. Over time your comfort zone should increase and you can take on more of the work yourself.
Totally.
Bill Ince
LSRI