2017 Expo

If you're interested in all things Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft, this is the place to be every January! Mark your calendars. http://www.sport-aviation-expo.com

Moderator: drseti

joey4420

2017 Expo

Post by joey4420 »

Anyone else planning to go? I am driving down from Ohio, planning to be there at least Wednesday and Thursday.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
pjdavis

Re: 2017 Expo

Post by pjdavis »

I will be there Wednesday and 1/2 Thursday. Are you driving your Cobra?
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Sadly will not be driving the Cobra, I am still working on getting a top for it. If I had a top I would drive it down. I plan to drive my Jag which is a wee bit easier on fuel costs and doesn't require a stop ever 2 hours for that same fuel. As I like to say I get 9 smiles to the gallon 8)
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Joey,

Buy an LSA - you will get better mileage! I get about 15 highway in my Cobra :twisted:
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Planning to fly in on Friday morning and leave in the evening. Have just read the NOTAM and while I realize that Sebring is not Oshkosh can anybody give any advice on how busy Sebring tends to be and how difficult it is landing there? Thank you in advance.
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

Well I only made it one day to the expo and as a newbie to the aviation expo's, I really enjoyed my day. I was there all day and it wasn't till the end of the day I noticed the Drones way in the back, I even heard them buzzing around when I was leaving.

I made it to Florida on Sunday the 22nd very late since I drove down. Enjoyed Monday hanging out in Venice, Tuesday I drove down to Page Field in Ft Myers. I looked at an ERCOUPE a very nice looking well maintained aircraft, sadly at 1320lbs capable it only had 389lbs of useful load as an LSA since it was 931lbs empty. It did have metal wings not cloth.

Thursday I made it to the Expo and I arrived around 8:30am to start looking around then attended Prof Paul's Alphabet soup Seminar, very informative. Then I walked around most of the day looking at all the airplanes and aircraft that were available to be seen. I even was able to talk to Prof Paul for about an hour about the advantages/disadvantages of each type of LSA (SLSA/ELSA/EAB - that meets LSA requirments) and even discussed older aircraft like the ERCOUPE. He is extremely knowledgeable and if you ever get a chance to sit and chat I highly recommend it as long as he has the time of course. We even had a couple people join us in out chat that were interested in very similar questions.

At the end of the day I got to go for a ride in a Bristell 912is, all I can say is it is 100 times better flying then either the SkyCatcher or the older 172 I have been flying so far. Very light on the controls provides instant response. Very smooth in the air and handled a 15-19 knot crosswind like it wasn't even there. I flew 4 laps around the pattern and have to say I know what I want in an aircraft.

I also sat in several of the other aircraft that was on display, but only took the Bristell up for a flight.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Joey,

That is what I fly for training. Did you go up with John Rathnell?

PJ
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

pjdavis wrote:Hi Joey,

That is what I fly for training. Did you go up with John Rathnell?

PJ
Yes I went up with John, very nice guy. I have talked to him many times on the phone, so I already had a good conversation base with him. I would love to be flying the Bristell for training. If all goes well I may be able to do some training it one or at least enjoy after my training is over.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

joey4420 wrote:
pjdavis wrote:That is what I fly for training. Did you go up with John Rathnell?
Yes I went up with John, very nice guy. I have talked to him many times on the phone, so I already had a good conversation base with him. I would love to be flying the Bristell for training. If all goes well I may be able to do some training it one or at least enjoy after my training is over.
Do either one of you know where John Rathnell is based?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Bill,

He is in Lancaster PA - here is his telephone number (717) 371-8677.

PJ
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

pjdavis wrote:Hi Bill,
He is in Lancaster PA - here is his telephone number (717) 371-8677.
PJ
Thank you.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator