Aerospool WT9 Dynamic

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Aerospool WT9 Dynamic

Post by foresterpoole »

Does anyone own one of these or has flown one? I saw one online and read the Dan Johnson report, but I can't seem to find anything more out. Their website is less than helpful. Looks like a nice little plane, but I can't tell if they are considered an LSA in the US or not. Weight looks right, but one of the reviews I read said it has a constant speed prop????
Ed
craigv

Re: Aerospool WT9 Dynamic

Post by craigv »

I own a LSA version and love it. They can come with retractable gear and a constant speed prop, mine has neither. There are three or four different versions depending on landing gear and prop.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Thanks for the reply, I did some digging, the one I looked at was the LSA version. Obviously I know very little about them, I know Rotax parts are not hard to find, do you have issues with airframe parts? Looks like a pretty slick LSA, what's her stats look like???
Ed
craigv

Post by craigv »

We had to get various parts from the factory on my 2009 Dynamic. It's slow, 6 weeks for some but everything is available. For example I replaced the leg and wheel fairings and they didn't have mine in stock, so 6 weeks to make, paint and get them to me.

I'm 6'2", 220 pounds, it's roomy for me as I can extend my legs fully. A CFI flew it and said, "WOW! This is a pilot's airplane!"

The more common LSA here in the US looks like the European Microlight version with the spring steel mains. This is rated at 450 kgs (992 pounds) in Europe. In the US the similiar looking Dynamic is rated at 1212 pounds. It's rated higher in other countries. My LSA has the fixed retract gear and 26.7 gallon fuel tanks. Two weeks ago I officially weighed it with fuel up to 1/2" below the fill, BRS, fire extinguisher and normal paperwork on board and it was 812 pounds. I believe mine was built to the 600 kg (1323 pounds) standard that's common in Europe. I've never had it to that weight but the handling characteristics have always been excellent throughout.

My Rotax ULS has engine leaning and so on a long trip at 9500' - 11,500' it cruises at 110-115 KTAS at 3.49 - 3.8 GPH, 4850-4950 RPM. WOT shows 127 KTAS. Last winter when there might have been a different prop setting it was showing 133 KTAS at WOT.

In Europe the Dynamics are relatively common with retract gear and adjustable prop, so cruise speeds are 135-140 knots at 4-4.5 GPH.
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Thanks craigv, that's exactly the kind of info I needed. I can deal with slower parts as long as they are available. Sounds like what I'm looking for in an aircraft, good range, decent payload, comfortable and economical.
Ed
craigv

Post by craigv »

I heard through the grapevine that there's a Dynamic for sale now and they're asking a lot given it's condition. Craig
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

I've seen two advertised used online. One had logbooks, looks like it was kept outside that in itself is not an issue, but it had some issues with rust on moving parts like flap hinges and landing gear on the last page, that is a red flag in my book, especially for what they wanted. The second looked good in photos, but is a little out of my price range. My horizon is a year or two so I can wait for a better one to come up. Thanks for the heads up!
Ed