New medical law mrans cheap LSA's?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

foresterpoole

Re: New medical law mrans cheap LSA's?

Post by foresterpoole »

Just for the record I'm (the OP) 35 and blessed with a stable well paying job, full time working spouse, and very little debt. I'm looking to have fun, and a good used LSA seems to fit the budget nicely. Hell, you have to consider most of my colleagues live in 2500-3000sqft mcmansions and drive 50,000 trucks, for 10,000-20,000 more your in a decent used LSA. With a co-owner, that's one brand new Astore or Bristel. I was concerned with market timing, I'd hate to buy and then watch the resale tank, on the other hand maybe I could pick one up at a very affordable price below budget.
Ed
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

eyeflygps wrote:Don't hold your breath for any fire sales. I don't think that will happen. A little softening in the used market maybe. Even with the PBORII, I think there is a large population of pilots like me who don't have medicals and fall outside the 10 year window.

Also, please remember that these threads have a life of their own. Many of our responses have little or nothing to do with the OP's initial post or question.
I agree. You might see the (newer) used LSA market soften up some, but I wouldn't expect more than a 10-15% movement, if that. If anything, I would expect the market for older GA airplanes (the Cherokee 180s I covet) to get a small bump up in price.

As for thread drift, I also agree with EyeFly; just as if we were all standing around the FBO or someone's hangar yakking about flying, the conversation will tend to drift around a bit. All you have to do to bring it back around to your topic is post something back in that general direction. One forum I was on had very strict moderators who quickly jumped on even the slightest thread drift. It became a ghost town and no one posts there anymore.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I was gone for a couple days and this thread kind of took off. Earlier I stated that the instructor did real understand LSA.
LSA is simple a definition of an aircraft created by the FAA, not unlike complex or high performance. With the new definition the FAA also created a way for new aircraft that meet the definition to get airworthiness certificates here in the US. This allowed for many designs already being produced in other parts of the world to be brought to the US and receive an airworthiness certificate that allowed it to be used for more than just flying to airshows.
Based on performance these new airplanes can stand on their own when compared to older GA aircraft.

So to the question. I don't think there will be a significant change in LSA prices because of people going back to older type certified aircraft. I say this because the people who were buying new SLSA aircraft had the money to do so. They are also the people who wanted more avionics and fancier interiors. They were the driving factor in new LSA aircraft getting heavier and more pricey as they evolved. I would expect the people who were buying the new SLSA aircraft if they make a change, will be to a newer more expensive higher performance aircraft instead of back to a older Cessna or Piper. The people who will move back to the Cessna and Pipers are the ones who made the move to older type certified LSA aircraft.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I would like to add to my post. The sport pilot rating is what created the need for the definition of a light sport aircraft (LSA). It is the only type aircraft a sport pilot can operate as PIC.

The term SLSA comes from a different regulation that while created at the same time and somewhat related is its own separate rule. People to often try and combine the two incorrectly. SLSA stands for special light sport aircraft. The "Special" in SLSA comes from the fact that the FAA developed a special way issue a airworthiness certificate to a newly manufactured aircraft that meets the definition of a LSA as defined in CFR 1.1. A SLSA aircraft can be flown by any type pilot with any type medical certificate or drivers' license. Now the way the airworthiness certificate is issued does put some limitations on what the airplane can be used for commercially, but generally it is the pilot's limitations that determines what they can do in the airplane. A private pilot can fly the airplane basically the same as he would in a Cessna 150 or 172, the one exception would be flight in IMC.

I am a commercial pilot with a second class medical, and I use my SLSA for personal flights day or night if it serves the mission. I also own a Piper Warrior that I can use when the SLSA doesn't fit the mission, but the SLSA is my first choice if it will work.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Nomore767 wrote:Mack Attack,

I agree with your points and hope you're enjoying your Astore.

Another point...there aren't that many places around that rent LSAs or use them for training. it would be great if there were more schools like the Chesapeake Sport school in MD.
So, if you want to fly LSA, are unable to buy one, and there aren't any LSAs for rental in your area, the LSA option is moot.

For myself, I was training in rental FD CTLS airplanes in SC until the school went under. I tried a school with a Remos and others with SkyCatchers but they were a fair driving distance and somewhat unreliable in my experience.

In the end its made more sense for me personally to buy my own plane and have control over my own light sport flying mission and I'm blessed to have the means to be able to do it. I'm 63 and I didn't want to look back in a few years and regret the chance to do it if I could.
Thanks - I am enjoying it. But I must say, that because (1) I am still working full time, (2) Houston weather is a little variable particularly in the summer and early fall, and (3) there are these things called "friends" and "business acquaintances" who seem to require some of my time, my fantasy of being able to fly 20-30 hours a month has been just that - a fantasy. More like 10-15. But I cannot tell you how happy I am to be an active pilot again and I have the Light Sport rules to thank for it ... and I don't think my experience is all that different from others nor will it be in the future.

Cheers!
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

I am 35 , working on my private and have a 3rd class medical, but may consider buying an LSA.

I'd rather fly something newer that is faster and climbs quicker with a better useful load than a Cessna 150. As the price of lightly used LSAs comes down to around 50k ... you might be able to justify the increased cost of 10 year old LSA over a 50 year old 150 by spending less on fuel, maintenance, avionics, etc.