Who Can Fly Your LSA?

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

3Dreaming

Re: Who Can Fly Your LSA?

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Andy, I have a commercial policy for my airplanes. In addition to what I stated above, I also have the authority to approve any instructor to give instruction in my planes.
Ah. Totally different. Your policy is designed with student pilots in mind, clearly.
Yes, but this is something that has changed over the past few years. My agent ask the company for this and they obliged. I think the fact that I have had almost 20 years without any mishaps played into this as well.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

I just bound a policy with AIG for my new LSA, and the OPW allows any private pilot to fly it. Not sport pilot, a private pilot. No time in type requirement however. Falcon tells me that for other pilots I can get a specific approval.

My other choice was Old Republic, which had a more complex process and a 500 hour minimum, along with approval for all CFIs. While I wasn't concerned about getting the approval (based on the experience of others with Old Republic), I thought the AIG OPW was simpler. I'm not planning to let others fly my aircraft without me in it for some time, unless it's a CFI who wants to do a familiarization flight or an A&P checking something out. And as long as they are private pilots that's fine.

Down the road, at the renewal, I can see what's out there. Premiums were effectively the same between the two.

Cheers
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Mack,
My Hallmark Aerospace policy (they bought AIG) initially said the same thing, but I asked to have it changed.... they agreed and changed it to "light sport or more advanced pilot certificate and has a minimum of 500 total logged hours, including not less than 10 hours in the same make & model aircraft." They get a bit more strict if pilot is over 75.

I felt this was needed as many of the folks I fly with are Sport Pilots (I'm private). If I needed one of them to fly my bird for some reason, I'd be out of luck. Also, I'd rather have a Sport Pilot with experience fly my aircraft, than a high-time private pilot with little to no experience in LSAs.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks Tim, that's good to know ... I'm ok with it as is for now, but I may change it down the road or at renewal. At present, I don't know of anyone other than a CFI that I would let fly it without me... not yet anyway!

Cheers
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Here in AZ there are a dozen or more CTs. We sometimes help each other out and give rides back/forth for annuals or maintenance (to Tucson Roger Lee). This is CT owners flying other CTs. If someone is sick and can't fly, maybe someone else will take the plane down for an annual and pick it up a week later. It's nice having the Open Pilot option.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
Torque

Post by Torque »

I have a buddy who flies a really nice LSA two seat. He can get his brother insured and the man who flew off the 40 hrs. But the insurance company will not insure him. Why? because he just got his ticket. He told me he is done with this cr#p. The airplane is up for sale and he is moving on.

Torque
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Torque wrote:I have a buddy who flies a really nice LSA two seat. He can get his brother insured and the man who flew off the 40 hrs. But the insurance company will not insure him. Why? because he just got his ticket. He told me he is done with this cr#p. The airplane is up for sale and he is moving on.

Torque
That's too bad Torque. I hope he'll reconsider.

I am still a student pilot, and had good luck with Chris Fostiak at Hays Companies. They understand aviation, and I got a quote no problem.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

That is too bad.

1) Did he search for other insurance companies?

2) Did he consider going without insurance?

3) One can always find reasons not to do things.

4) Where there's a will, there's a way.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm sure ther is more to the story, there always is.