Sling 4

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Sling 4

Post by Cluemeister »

What's the status of this aircraft? Wasn't this essentially a grown up LSA converted to 4 seats with a Rotax 914?
cogito

Re: Sling 4

Post by cogito »

Cluemeister wrote:What's the status of this aircraft? Wasn't this essentially a grown up LSA converted to 4 seats with a Rotax 914?
I haven't been on this site for a long time. I've flown the Sling 4 a few times and you're right. It also has a constant speed prop, another reason it doesn't fit the LSA category. Nice plane, faster, and got off the grass field at SNF faster than my Sling 2.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I wonder why this plane hasn't been more popular. Seems to have a lot of positives going for it!
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

The Sling 4 is only offered only as an EAB kit. It flies at 130 knots, weighs over 1,600 lbs, has 4 seats and a constant speed prop so it in no way qualifies as a LSA.

I suspect a certified Sling 4 factory built under $200,000 would be very desirable.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

This really looks like an amazing aircraft for sure! I remember watching a video recently on it and was super impressed. They had 3 guys in that puppy and it looked like it was no big deal taking off. Amazing performance and efficiency with the Rotax 914 turbo and a constant speed propeller.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

It's unfortunate that we can't have constant speed propellers in LSAs ... Would be nice! The story about the round-the-world trip in a Sling 4 is pretty interesting ...
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MackAttack wrote:It's unfortunate that we can't have constant speed propellers in LSAs ...
Sadly, not even in E-LSA's.

If I could legally install one in my Sky Arrow, the check would be in the mail tomorrow!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]