New P2008 Owner and short flight review!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: New P2008 Owner and short flight review!

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:. . . "we've never had to resort to censorship on SportPilotTalk, mainly because even our most impulsive members have, so far, had the good sense to self-censor." . . . :)
You do a great job with this forum Paul.
By far, it is the best light sport forum on the internet.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

There are very few options that you're able to install on a Carbon Cub in order to keep it under 902 lbs. I believe that's the empty weight requirement to keep it registered as an SLSA. Anything bigger than stock 8" tires will bump it into ELSA.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

If you convert an SLSA to ELSA, do you still keep the 1320 weight limit?

If so, then the Carbon Cub owners who want to add options that kick up the weight above SLSA rules have to go to EAB to get the additional weight needed? Or do they go to ELSA?
designrs

Post by designrs »

jetcat3 wrote:Hey y'all,

My Dad had his first lesson yesterday and it went really well! He's going to be writing here and giving updates as he goes. Hope y'all like the pictures!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/270 ... 0723_b.jpg
Hey Jetcat3,

Great looking plane. Congrats!!

The thread happened to drift a bit to a topic that most members take very seriously.
We're a very friendly group here... really! LOL

Wishing you and you dad every success!
Please keep us posted.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu May 19, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Still friendly. Just passionate about the topic!! I believe all LSA including E-LSA are subject to the 1320 limit.
drseti

Post by drseti »

MackAttack wrote: I believe all LSA including E-LSA are subject to the 1320 limit.
True for ASEL. As previously mentioned, ASES gets an extra 110 pounds (whether ELSA or SLSA).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

Also, I believe all ELSA's are not held to a specific empty weight. Only max gross of 1320 or 1430.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

jetcat3 wrote:Also, I believe all ELSA's are not held to a specific empty weight. Only max gross of 1320 or 1430.
Not correct. There is a formula that resolves to a minimum useful load requirement that one backs into a max empty weight for SLSA certification. One of data elements is the number of seats. This is why you see in the CC order form that a single seat CC can have a higher empty weight before being forced into ELSA. An ELSA only has the max gross weight requirement.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Merlinspop wrote:
jetcat3 wrote:Also, I believe all ELSA's are not held to a specific empty weight. Only max gross of 1320 or 1430.
Not correct. There is a formula that resolves to a minimum useful load requirement that one backs into a max empty weight. One of data elements is the number of seats. This is why you see in the CC order form that a single seat CC can have a higher empty weight before being forced into ELSA.
Not my field of expertise, but jetcat3 was referring to ELSA's.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's been pointed out that the ASTM weight limits apply to SLSA and ELSA, but not E-AB. This is true, but remember that if you register an aircraft as an E-AB with any of the performance specs outside of the LSA limits, it cannot be flown by Sport Pilots, or without a current medical.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:It's been pointed out that the ASTM weight limits apply to SLSA and ELSA, but not E-AB. This is true, but remember that if you register an aircraft as an E-AB with any of the performance specs outside of the LSA limits, it cannot be flown by Sport Pilots, or without a current medical.
Absolutely! My only point in bringing it up is that knowing an airplane is certified to a higher weight "else-wise" gives me more confidence in its strength at the legal weight. Nothing more. One that I don't know whether or not it just barely meets the minimum at 1320# won't give me the same level of confidence.
- Bruce
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

From my Dad

Well, I finally experienced my first lesson… in my own airplane (Tecnam P2008). After much research to get a grasp of what to expect, I actually began the process on Friday.

I was nervous when my young CFI told me the wind was “borderline too strong” in terms of violating their club limit for flying (20knts + 14knt crosswind). Based on his prior Skycatcher experience, he expressed concern about getting “tossed around” in a light sport airplane. I assured him the P2008 was not the same and could take much more turbulence.

After getting completing the pre-flight procedures we were ready for takeoff. We quickly got up to takeoff speed after going full throttle. As soon as the max boost kicked in, the plane took off on its own and felt like we were climbing out in a helicopter due to the headwind. We quickly reached pattern altitude, turned and began to setup for landing. I had to laugh when my instructor said, “I’d like to put in some flaps but I can’t slow it down. This is a very efficient airframe!” We had to pitch up to bleed off speed, put in flaps, turn to final, and with full flaps softly settled to the runway. He made a very smooth landing despite the wind. Afterwards, he couldn’t stop raving about the airplane.

I can’t wait until my next lesson. It is comforting to know I have a safe, reliable, airplane that can:
• Handle turbulence like no other light sport on the market
• Climb like a Carbon Cub
• Land almost like a Cub
• Cruise in comfort fast and efficiently, while only burning 4.5 gal/hour
• Turn heads due to the fit and finish

Once I become proficient with both flying and utilization of the integrated G3X, I can’t imagine a more satisfying aviation experience.

Finally, an observation from one who “started from scratch.” I would not have done this if it weren’t for my son’s guidance. He coordinated flight lessens, flight instructors, etc., to produce the best optimal conditions for me. He provided a wealth of information needed to feel comfortable jumping into the aviation world. If you are like me and have always dreamed of flying your own airplane but can’t seem to move beyond where you are, I recommend finding a young person who is passionate, knowledgeable and more than willing to illuminate the path you need. I guarantee it will make the stressful investment of time and money more rewarding / fulfilling.

There are some knowledgeable young aviation enthusiasts out there who are more than willing to field questions and be helpful. Unlike “experienced” (older) pilots, they understand the light sport market – pros and cons – much better. They have a keen sense of understanding of the benefits and capabilities of seamless integrated glass panels, auto-pilot, as well as other features designed to enhance safety and comfort. Don’t let your dream fade. Strike up a conversation, get informed, then take the leap of faith.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

Merlinspop wrote:
Not correct. There is a formula that resolves to a minimum useful load requirement that one backs into a max empty weight for SLSA certification. One of data elements is the number of seats. This is why you see in the CC order form that a single seat CC can have a higher empty weight before being forced into ELSA. An ELSA only has the max gross weight requirement.
As Eddie said, I was referring to ELSA's, not SLSA's.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Awesome post from your dad! Sounds like a great experience and congrats to him!